How do you teach your puppy to stay home

Hi I was just wondering how you all teach your puppy to stay home happily and not end up with separation anxiety, my other shih tzu who was put to sleep a little while ago I had her for 15 years bless her sole well she had separation anziety real bad I can;t remember ever leaving her home so maybe that was why any help would be great

silverleaf

I think all puppies go though the anxiety of being alone after having spent so much time with thier brothers and sisters around all the time. I've heard the best thing to do is not make a big deal of your going out and coming home. Act like it is just a natural part of your day and don't make a fuss over the pup as soon as you get home. Start by leaving the pup alone for short periods of time (if you have to work, hopefully you have a kind nieghbour who can check on the pup) and gradually increase your time away. I personally like to crate my dogs untill I can trust them not to destroy the house while I'm out.

I'm going through this now too. Little Dublin doesn't seem to care about the other dogs being home-she wants her mama!

when bailey was just a pup and I would leave her at home, I would return to find her blanket and toys surrounding the bird's cage(I have a Congo African Grey named Bo). they kept each other company quite well and bonded pretty closely. now that we have Gizmo, Bailey has taught him to hang out with Bo as well.

just make sure that he/she has something to do... then ease em into the pattern of being alone for a time.

mileysmom

Miley used to get into trouble while i was gone. because she was getting back at me for not being there.

But now she just gets into trouble because she knows she wont actually get into trouble until i get home.

Shes a stinker. But shes getting better.

Hamilton gets to hang out in his kennel when we're away. He seems to like it. He lays right down & I think he sleeps the whole time. I ususally put in a toy and a chewie to keep him busy.

kcsheperd

Mine stay in the kitchen with a baby gate when I leave for work. I give them something awesome before I leave so that they will be focused on the awesome treat as opposed to me leaving. So I will leave them a chicken jerkey..or some freeze-dried liver bits, and then I will also fill a kong with their canned food, and other yummy treats and leave them that to chew on..Now when I get ready to go they happily bounce into the kitchen and wait for their treats. Then they eat them up, and sleep on their pillows till I get home (I have a webcam on them so I can see what they are doing) and they are just fine. Hope that helps! :)

loewenthal.anna

Even now when I want my dogs to calm down I use a crate and cover it with a blanket. We're doing this now for the litter too to get them used to being crated for when they go to their homes and I've always found it immensely helpful! The blanket helps reinforce the 'small space" which is comforting to dogs, who are historically den-dwelling animals.

I teach them all "go to bed" or "go home" and give a cookie and they know that it's time to be quiet and take a nap.

As others have said I also don't make a big fuss about coming home (unless THEY'VE been away like boarding or at the groomer and I'm picking them up somewhere strange) . . . I say hello to Adam, put down my things, and only then do I say hello to everyone going down the line from alpha to the puppies (which also helps reinforce natural pack/den behaviors) if they whine or scratch at my legs I go do something else for a few minutes before I greet them to knock home the idea that it's not a big deal to me, and it shouldn't be to them either.

They all know that when I grab a leash it's "their time" to go out and while Money will still try to run out with me when I leave in the morning for the most part they understand that they get to come ONLY with that visual cue, that helps too.

It is MUCH easier to work with separation anxiety in puppies so you're doing the right thing by trying to nip the behavior in the bud. Don't be afraid to play the ignoring game either, to us it may seem "mean", but dogs understand it as "you're the boss and I have to wait for you to grace me with your attention". So much of how they interact is based on respect so it's important to always instill the idea that above all else, they need to respect what YOU want.

You have already gotten some great advice here and all I can do is ditto, ditto, ditto. Every time I come in the door, they are all stretching so I KNOW they have been asleep. I am still working on them knowing they don't get the attention when we come in right off the bat, but daddy is the biggest poopoo here. He walks in the door and high pitch "hi babies, hi Josie, Maddy and Rudy", "Come see daddy"....well, yea...I get excited with that greeting too....hi momma, come see daddy....BUT, I always get invited LAST, so excited now??? Not so much....LOL

loewenthal.anna

LOL! You better whip that husband into shape Cathy! You're bigger then them, you should get kisses first!

LOL! You better whip that husband into shape Cathy! You're bigger then them, you should get kisses first!

I agree, but that seems to be the problem, you see, when he comes in the door, he is already almost down on all fours to greet the KIDS....so I either have to shrink or get on all fours and honestly, that is just NOT my gig..... :)