Confining Roxie to the Bathroom

This weekend, i confined roxie to the bathroom with a baby gate when we went snowboarding. We asked a friend to come over and check up on her at lunch..and she got OUT! roaming around the apartment. From what was visible, he said he only saw one pee stain on the carpet but he said she was just hanging out in her bed...and then he put her back in and when i got home, she was OUT! and again i only found 1 pee stain and saw her hanging out on the couch...She sounded like she was a good girl besides the accidents in the house.

This morning, we filmed her to see how she got out. It turns out she jumped over the gate in 5 mins..this is a 3 month old puppy. Now we're not sure what to do! lol. I was thinking about getting a second gate and putting it on top of that...but then i wonder if she'd be able to climb on that too..I didn't know she could jump that high! what do you guys think?

loewenthal.anna

Haha, sounds like my Mr. Money! Our bed is a good 36 inches off the floor and he can jump up on it NO problem!

When he was still training we got a crate that was large enough for his bed/toys/food on one side, and a piddle pad on the other. . . we covered ti with a sheet and that worked really well to keep him calm and contained. Usually Lolly went in there with him and they'd just mess around with their chewies until we got home.

mileysmom

Wowee that's high to jump for such a youngin. But I'm glad she was good for the most part

Wow, she is determined to get out....might try putting the gate on the inside and then closing the door (so she won't scratch the door)....yea, two gates might work too, UNLESS she is climbing, then I would be afraid she would fall when she got high up...not good. There are also x pens with tops on them that might work.

I use a VERY large wire kennel/crate. I never put potty pads in, just never gone long enough, nor did he ever use them any way....but it is plenty of room for a bed and toys and yes a pad if you needed. This crate is the largest they make.

Good luck....you have a determined little girl.

yeah it was actually funny watching her get out this morning..she was like mission impossible..lol..getting out in 5 minutes..she pretty much put her foot on one of the slots and used her arms on the top of the gate to lift herself over. The whole time we thought she broke through because we also added 2 chairs against it for support.

She doesn't do very well confined to a small area where she can roam around..lol. She's fine in the crate..but that's because she can't really move in there.

I can't close the door because of where the gate is. Maybe i could try closing the door altogether..but i think she likes seeing us come by.

Sounds like my Maggie. She learned to jump the gate at 5 months old, so I just left her out with the other two. But she was already pad trained at that point and the older 2 kept her out of trouble. Good luck!

mr.coffee

Hmm. Not sure what to do about a climber. A jumper, not so much a problem but if she's actually scaling the gate (?!?) you don't want to stack gates.

It is pretty wild the way these little pups can jump though, I still get a kick out of watching Harley take hurdles. I know in flyball the hurdle height is set by the dog's height, I think Harley would set the hurdles at something like 4" - he can clear three times that with ease! :D The trick is getting him to not go around...

-m

i know right. she is so bold! i just bought a second gate, so i'm gonna test it out this week to see if that should hold her in. If only she was fully potty trained, i'd love to give her the run of the house!

i know right. she is so bold! i just bought a second gate, so i'm gonna test it out this week to see if that should hold her in. If only she was fully potty trained, i'd love to give her the run of the house!

Just one word of caution on that....she is getting to the teething stage and one of mine went after ANYthing wood...including my wood shutters....

yeah thats what i thought, but when she got out when we were snowboarding, there was nothing that got chewed on..she was just hanging out on the couch when i got home. i think she's better with her teething stage..i give her alot of frozen fruits, chew toys, and bully sticks.

uh huh she loves it! helps with her teething since it's frozen and soothing. i put some in her kong when she's crated..usually gone by the time i get home..or if u have a yard, give em a chunk and they love playing with it..

Fruit?

Huh. Never realized they liked fruit.

-m

Oh, YOU are sooooo bad....