meganpatricia

I have an unusual situation with my 7 month old pup, and I'm trying to figure out a good way to deal with it.

I get to bring him to work with me as much as I want/am able to, but I do sometimes have meetings that require me to be away from my desk for up to 2 hours. I know he is ok being alone that long, because he does get left at home some days (with visits from a dog walker) and he seems to be fine with it. My issue is this; I could probably crate him under my desk and leave him comfortably for the time except that he will bark for up to 5 minutes before settling down, and in an office environment that's not really acceptable. I talked to other dog owners at my workplace, and one had begun using a citronella no-bark collar for her boston terrier for just that purpose. She said it worked great for her.

Does anyone else have experience with these types of training aids or have any other suggestions?

tzuhouse

Seems as though someone else asked that very question just recently.

Sorry, i do not....it seems rather harsh for a little puppy to me tho. Could you give him a kong with some goodies inside instead and see if that would tire him out and maybe he would settle then? That is what I give my little guy when he wakes "too" early...he gets a tiny bit of peanut butter and I think he "licks" himself tired and goes back to sleep....

• 2 weeks later...
BusterBoo

Buster has a citronella collar and it does work, however, please don't EVER leave a bark collar (of any kind) on a dog in a crate. If the collar hooks onto the crate, he could choke himself. Also, I used the citronella collar as a training device, only when I was with Buster.

As soon as your pup realizes that the crate is a safe, happy place, he should stop the barking, however, he is still a puppy and wants your attention.

Good luck! :blush-anim-cl:

Carolina Girl

I put either peanut butter or yogurt into a kong. I also put little treats in with the p.b. or yogurt. I then freeze them This will keep him busy for over an hour!