Behavioural Problems - need help

We rescued Austin, (MN) 8 years old in January 2010.

I have 4 other dogs, Stryker, (MN-Boxer) 4.5 years old, Chelsea, (FS-Boxer) 2 years old, Fay, (FS-Terrier Mix) 11 years old, Hawkeye, (will be neutered-German Shepherd) 11 weeks old.

The dogs have all been getting along great..... we noticed Austin is very dominant, everytime another dog goes near him he growls (which we always correct), last Saturday we all went outside and it seemed it was a mad dash for the door, when the dogs all got outside and on the back deck Austin turned and attacked Stryker, he went straight for his neck, now we're not sure if Stryker stepped on him or not. When Austin attacked Stryker attacked back, not really an attack but don't know what to call it, more like mauled Austin for a few seconds now the whole thing might have lasted 25 sec. but it was very loud, no one was hurt, Austin was a little sloppered up. Now Tuesday night again we're outside everything's going fine, the pup goes to Stryker and starts licking his lips(not sure why he does this) and Stryker doesn't like it, so he turns his head towards the pup and give him a stop it growl.......... well out of nowhere comes running Austin and he goes straight for Stryker's neck again, same deal, Stryker puts him down and makes lots of noice, I yell - Stryker stops, as soon as Austin gets up he goes at Stryker's neck again, this happened three times before I was able to get to Austin, I gave him a push and told him to stop it, then I took him in the house, I stayed out with the other dogs for about an hour and when I went into the house as soon as Austin saw Stryker he growled, but that was as far as it went. The rest of the evening poor Stryker stayed by himself either on my bed or in the basement, he seemed he didn't know what had happened.

Now to me Austin is not very smart, Stryker is an 85 pound boxer, he could really hurt him, thank goodness he's a lover and not a fighter!

Any ideas on how to stop this before Austin does get hurt.

Sorry this is so long......... thanks for taking the time to read it!

tzukeeper

I have 8 Shih Tzu and had a very similar issue with one of my girls attacking another of my girls. My issue started out of the blue with no obvious signs of provocation. At least that I could see. Dog language is way different than human language. I used NILIF to get things in control. I noticed a difference in all of my dogs in just a weeks time. It's an easy training concept to put into action and costs nothing......just a 5 minute read. Here is the link. I hope things get better for you and your dogs. :birthday_toast:

http://k9deb.com/nilif.htm

Just wanted to add...the attacks lessened greatly over the months following my use of NILIF. It's now been well over 18 months since we have had an attack. I still use NILIF everyday. Keeps my dogs in check...they all know who is "Top Dog" around here....ME!!!!