Probably a Silly Question

Claudiabehr

Panda's little sister comes home to live with us tomorrow and I'm absolutely sure that little P is going to love her. The problem is I'm concerned that she's going to love her into a coma. Puppies need lots of sleep and Panda is known to try to make other dogs at the daycare play whether they want to or not. I know I can separate them physically if I have to, but I'm hoping they can be company for each other while I no longer take Panda to work. I guess what I'm asking is how has it been for you all, when number 2 entered the scene? Mayhem?

tzuhouse

Mayhem??? YEP !!!! Gosh, I can't believe it is tomorrow already...I bet you just can't wait. I SURE CAN"T WAIT FOR PICS.....

At this young age, I would be sure to give the puppy rest time in a crate. You are right, they do need time to rest. As she gets older, you can extend time together and before long, they will lay together and sleep when ever they need.

Have you decided on a name yet? Darn, I am really excited for you Claudia AND Panda. Yippee....

Carolina Girl

Well, I haven't gone through the puppy stage yet. But I just wanted to say - How exciting!!!! I can't wait to see pictures....

Mayhem definitely describes it :P

I'd give her some down time in a crate or xpen, or even gated into another room. I can't wait to see the welcome home pics!

Seastar

Yeah, I'm with Cathy. But the puppy will find a time to sleep, one way or the other. A crate to retreat to would be nice. Even maybe one of the cat sized ones where Panda couldn't follow her in if you left the door off or open.

chloechanel'smommy

Can't believe it's time for her to come home already! Can't wait to see pics of her and Panda together. i'm sure Panda will be a great big sister!

CrazyTzuLady

How exciting! I am so happy for you. :P I agree with the girls I think she will find time to rest. I know when I first brought Delila home for Gizmo they were crazy but I never separated them and they were just fine. I am sure you will figure out quickly enough what will work for them. Can't wait for the pics!!!

tzuhouse

Claudia....my dear....I see you lurking there....COME ON....where is the new little girl??? We need an update....at least let us know she has arrived....of course a PIC would be nice...LOL

Claudiabehr

Guilty as charged!!!!!!! I'm sitting here on the couch with little Cadbury under my chin and little P at my feet, both exhausted and sleeping after their first couple hours of getting to know each other. It was pretty much love at first sight for both of them so hopefully this is indicative of the future......hopesohopesohopeso. I took some pics and will post them in the a.m. Little P just climbed into my lap so now I feel like I'm wearing DOG! I have no idea where they're going to sleep tonight but I'm also hoping I get some shuteye. She's a real sweetie and gave me lots of puppy kisses right away and jumped on Panda's face exactly the way Panda does to other dogs. Pretty funny seeing P react.

loewenthal.anna

You know, it never occurred to me to let Money man have "down time" . . . I guess I just kinda fed his little furry butt to the wolves when we brought him home :):( There was some tussling for position at first, and still to this day I never ever correct Lolly for dominance displays toward Cash or Poe because she has right to be alpha in our home, I just pay attention and make sure nobody is getting bullied. I dunno, that never really happened and I feel like part of that is because all three were allowed/forced to figure it out themselves so the true alpha just sort of happened. Puppies are naturally submissive too, which makes things that much easier.

I DID put up a baby gate about 8" off the ground so that both Lolly and Cash could have some time away from Poe (because THAT was just mayhem I didn't think his little body could handle full-time) but Lolly took to him immediately and he even slept in bed with us that first night.

I do wish I had taken him on more walks solo as a pupper, so I'll add that. Because he and Lolly became a unit so quickly it became very difficult to do anything with just one of them (see also: my issues with training him) but as far as their comfort and pack life I don't think either could imagine not being with the other, and that really is the ultimate goal in getting a companion for an existing dog, is it not?

It took a few weeks for "her" things to become "their" things (specifically the bed, food bowls and toys were never prized commodities for Lolly the way a fluffy bed is) but bless Money and his diligence, he just kept trying to sneak in next to her until she gave in and let him share the primo naptime spots. Thinking of it, it was about the same when he decided he wanted to sleep in the whelp box with the puppies. . . it's like Lolly just likes to test his devotion before giving in (what a woman, right?!)

Either way: PICTURES are absolutely in order!!! I would also highly recommend videos of their first few encounters. We have a bunch of Cash and it's just too cute to go back and watch him trying to win over his now-lady-love . . . brings back so many fond memories :(

Seastar

Okay, how'd the night go? Are you getting filled up with delicious puppyness?

kcsheperd

How Exciting! Sounds like they are off to a great start! When I brought Sawyer home for Payslee it was love at first site too..They played themselves into sleepytime! Even though they were the same age, I noticed that Sawyer's batteries ran down WAY before Payslee's..but eventually she would lay down by him when he was resting. They are pretty good at 'figuring it out' and knowing that they need some sleep time. However, at one point Payslee played too hard and became a bit hypoglycemic..so it is good to remind them to rest a bit if they just seem to NOT want to do it. You could keep some Nutrical on hand just in case.. Congratulations! Can't wait to see the new pics!! How fun!

tzuhouse

Cadbury? So, that is the final name? How sweet and yummy...bet you just want to eat her up...what a NICE way to get your "calorie fix"....LOL

OK, so waiting for pics....come one Claudia...you GOTTA let us see her.

borzoimom

I make sure if I have a puppy, that they have a time out to relax and to sleep. At least 3 times a day. Probably 4 times a day- like every 2-3 hours. "Okay- fun over for now- time to rest and take a nap.." :)

Seastar

Sweetness overload!

kcsheperd

How Sweet! Literally..due to the name..lol.. Looks like they are having a great time together playing and loving..Awesome! :)

Kae+Gizzy

Aww it looks like they are going to become firm friends :) I know its a little daunting bringing a new puppy into the mix but these little guys are just so loveable to one another. We had very few issues with Giz and Bella, I expected Giz to be a bit of a brat. He is and was hugely spoilt. He adored Bella from the get go. I was so relieved lol

I am so glad to hear they are both getting to know eachother. Cadbury is a darling :)

tzuhouse

Claudia, she is adorable. I am so happy Panda loves her right off. That is half of the battle.....you did good....ok, at the risk of being pushy....how about some close ups of the little hershey bar????? P L E A S E...

mr.coffee

Yeah, was gonna say I saw a mostly-white furball and a mostly-brown furball, and even identified some pawpads in one shot, but... :birthday_toast:

-m