Pooping on the bed :(

StaceyG3972

My little darling Fritz is 7 months old and litter box trained. He does very well with with this except in my kids room. I keep the bedroom doors closed most of the time but my younger children of course go into their room to play and Fritz will go in there and ninja poop lol. He just pooped in his litter box this morning then turned around and pooped on their bed a few hours later. He does it all the time and it's frustrating because it's hard to keep their doors closed and I am constantly having to wash the comforters. Any suggestions for me on what to do to stop this and why he might be doing this? Thanks!

Seastar

Keep the doors closed.

Carolina Girl

My Oz does this too. Except he likes to pee on the beds. We must keep the bedroom doors closed or he'll go in and have fun on all the beds. We had issues too with our kids keeping the doors closed. They just never remembered. I finally said to them "When you leave your door open and the dog goes in and pees on the beds, you are making more work for me. Would you like for me to make more work for you?" And I would. If they forgot to close their door and he got in their rooms and peed, guess what? I would find some chore around the house for them to do. It worked too.....they never forget now. I haven't had to clean up a pee pee comforter in quite a while. I don't know what age your kids are, but maybe if you tried this it might work for you as well. I didn't do it in a mean way, and now we can kind of laugh about it. But for a while there I thought I would scream!!!

CrazyTzuLady

My Delila has always been our "closet pooper". If my bedroom door gets left open you can be sure to find a not so nice pile at the foot of my bed on the floor. I have never been able to break her of this but if I keep the door shut she never does it. Simple solution the door has to stay closed or the baby gate has to be across it.

tzuhouse

I find this so strange and can't understand why they do it. I always keep my three gated in our hearth room/kitchen area, which is pretty much where we "live". Then when we go in the bedroom, we gate them in there with us.....BUT, if they are left to roam or if they can get upstairs, I will always find a wet or poo spot someplace....I just don't get it....over time, I am sure there is a scent they can detect, no matter how hard I try to clean, I am sure I have missed something....BUT, why do they think it is ok in the first place? I hate it, but I am like the others....best solution....KEEP them where you want them....

I am so envious of all those who can let their dogs have full roam of the house with no problems. I have often wondered if it is because we start out with them corralled in certain areas and other places are like free reign for them, just like going outside....

VERY STRANGE....and NOT appreciated!!!! LOL

mr.coffee

When training, we went through a brief period of that. Bear in mind, Harley has always had free run of the house with the exception of Devon's room. He has always slept in our bed with the exception of during training, and a brief period when he wanted to sleep on his own in his crate next to our bed.

When he started peeing and/or pooping (a rare case, more often pee) in the bed, we chose to crate him with the understanding that he was neither fully matured and able to hold his bladder all night nor fully trained and able to let us know far enough in advance. When we crated him, I would get up in the night to take him out - a habit I was already in. This was always a night-time thing, never during the day. As he matured and became better trained, we were able to allow him back into the bed.

Back to Devon's room, we have always STRICTLY enforced a policy that his room is off limits to Harley, NO EXCEPTIONS. This is more for Harley's protection than anything else, as Devon has some...shall we say, unsavory habits. Allowing Harley access to his room is a punishable offense.

Following on the laundry scenario presented by Ozzy's Mom, I might even be inclined to go a step further, although I'm sure most folks would disagree with me. Say, you let the dog in, he pees or poops on your bed, I ain't cleaning it up. You clean it up, or you sleep with it. I think they'd get the point pretty quick. How old are the kids in question, anyway? I guess I'm thinking in terms of kids old enough to know better, and old enough to clean up and launder their own sheets...

-m

StaceyG3972

They are 3 1/2 and 5 and share a room so it's hard to keep their door closed. I put a baby gate up today and will see how it goes. I appreciate all of the replies! It's somewhat comforting that my dog isn't the only one with this strange habit but it's also disturbing because I was hoping it would just be something he grew out of. Maybe he still will. :thumb: I never catch him in the act so I cannot reprimand him which is also frustrating. So far the baby gate has kept him from going in there. I had thought he would just jump it but he hasn't yet.

mr.coffee

Yeah, Harley is capable of clearing a gate with ease - little gazelle dog! But most of the time he doesn't unless the whole family is on the other side of the gate. I think he understands the point isn't that he CAN'T go past it, but rather that he SHOULDN'T. Now, the other part to worry about is, what if he poops on the bed and then chows down so you don't know about it? (At least, until he gives you stinky kisses!) :thumb::)

-m

Every once in a while,Penny gets a wild hair to pee on the bed.But not in quite a while,but my daughter has a dog that constantly pees in his water bowl.I think it's so funny,but she does not see the humor.I told her if he has that good of an aim,she should teach him to use the toilet.

Every once in a while,Penny gets a wild hair to pee on the bed.But not in quite a while,but my daughter has a dog that constantly pees in his water bowl.I think it's so funny,but she does not see the humor.I told her if he has that good of an aim,she should teach him to use the toilet.

:(:aktion033: :hysterical:

ShihTzuholic

I don't know how you would get him to stop either but the baby gate sounds like a good idea......just thought that was funny because thats exactly what they did on an episode of 'Its me or the Dog' on animal planet that I watched the other day. Pomeranian was using the kids bedrooms as potty rooms.

Your tzu has beautiful coloring.

StaceyG3972

Thank you! He's the love of my life. Everyone that meets him falls in love too. Even my Mom the animal hater lol. I think I will get another in a year or two :birthday_toast:

So far the baby gate has worked. The only time he jumped the gate was when I went into their room.

Edited by StaceyG3972