Heeeelllllllp!

Carolina Girl

I went and picked Mowgli up this morning. I got him at 12:00. Got home at 2:00. And he did not pee till 3:00. I had this vision of puppies peeing every 30 minutes! After being on the floor for a little bit, I put him into his crate. He went right to sleep. He's been aslepp since about 3:30. Does this mean he won't sleep tonight? I'm trying to figure out if I should wake him up or not. Also, I'm not sure how much freedom I should let the 3 of them have together. The other 2 are for sure interested in him. They sniff and lick him. But they are taken back a little when he tries to jump on them. He's so little I'm so scared of them hurting him. (not on purpose, but playing with him) How do you balance out protecting them all, and also letting them play? He's only 8 weeks old and he's only 2 pounds. But I also don't want to put him in a bubble and not let him socialize.......I was so afraid of the potty training part, I did not think about this part very much. Also, I've had to put his crate on the dining room table. I had it on the floor, but Ozzy kept barking at the door of it and pawing at it. Do you suppose this is normal? Ugh.......Add on top of all this, my hubby went out of town at the last minute......We had the whole thing planned, as far as bringing him home together and just concentrating on just the doggies......Ugh! I'm very happy with my baby though. He's so good!

I'd take them someplace outside (if you have a yard or whatever) and let them get acquainted. If you just keep a good watch on anybody, it's highly unlikely he will get hurt, and the other dogs will be less curious after they've had a chance to really check him out.

FairyTail Josette

Puppies sleep A LOT. He's growing and developing. I would let him rest. Also, the move from the breeder's house to yours is a little stressful for him and rest is good for him today. As Paula said, let them meet/greet and discover one another on neutral turf outdoors. Most likely, Ozzy and Daisy will not hurt Mowgli. They instinctively know how to play with one another. Don't over protect Mowgli too much. Puppies are resilient. If anything, the puppies are more wild with their tail and ear pulling and create more havoc than the older ones. As time progresses, we always made sure that our older ones had a "safe" place to get away from the puppy, so, they can have a break and just relax.

Carolina Girl

Oh my goodness! When I put them all down together, Ozzy "stalks" Mowgli. He looks like a wild animal.....He'll sniff and lick at Mowgli and he'll even kind of get on top of him. But if Mowgli takes off, Ozzy pounces him like he's prey. What is up with that? He almost seems fixated on him.

Daisy on the other hand will kind of keep her distance. She cleaned his face after he ate this morning. But if he jumps on her, she kind of nips at him. I guess that is normal?

Potty training continues to go well. He peed at 10 pm. I then woke him up at 1 am. He woke me up at 4 am. So he's going every 3-4 hours. He's eating, but not really drinking much. I guess this all just takes time.....

How fun to have a puppy in your home! Mowgli will do fine. I wouldn't intervene when their playing, they know what to do. I can't wait to see pictures of them interacting together.

FairyTail Josette

Oh my goodness! When I put them all down together, Ozzy "stalks" Mowgli. He looks like a wild animal.....He'll sniff and lick at Mowgli and he'll even kind of get on top of him. But if Mowgli takes off, Ozzy pounces him like he's prey. What is up with that? He almost seems fixated on him.

Daisy on the other hand will kind of keep her distance. She cleaned his face after he ate this morning. But if he jumps on her, she kind of nips at him. I guess that is normal?

Potty training continues to go well. He peed at 10 pm. I then woke him up at 1 am. He woke me up at 4 am. So he's going every 3-4 hours. He's eating, but not really drinking much. I guess this all just takes time.....

It sounds like Ozzy is just showing dominance. Ozzy is letting Mowgli know that he's top dog there, leader of the pack, not Mowgli.

Yes, that's normal behavior with Daisy. It takes a bit of an adjustment period when a new puppy comes into the household. Daisy is letting the puppy know what is appropriate and what is not and his place in the pack, as well.

2 better than 1

I am dealing with the same thing. My Lyric just turned 8 weeks old and she and Pippin are still trying to get to know each other after having her for a week. He tolerates her pretty well when she is trying to nip at him or play with him. He has started to play with her a few times, but I think he gets too excited, almost like he's playing with a toy. Last night I had to intervene because he totally pounced her and was just being a little too rough. I am trying to give them space to play, but definitely keep a close eye on them. Good luck! Let us know if you have any great success stories... any advice is great to get them being more comfortable with each other.

Edited by 2 better than 1
loewenthal.anna

Here's my theory on playtime: I don't worry unless I see blood, someone cowering in the corner (and I mean truly shaking and obviously avoiding contact with the other dogs), or a dog not being let up off the floor for over 5 minutes.

Anything short of those scenarios is just normal "sorting it all out". I never ever scold the alpha (in my case Lolly) for showing dominance toward anyone else, because that leaves room for the others to pick on them too since they "saw mom do it" . . . I've seen well organized packs torn apart over the alpha being "dethroned" and it ain't pretty! Even though a certain-someone will constantly remind us to "be the pack leader" there is a clear and distinct difference between your alpha relationship with each dog, and their relationships with each other. When trying to get THEM to play nice with each other, you have to respect the way they've sorted themselves. For example: All my dogs have to sit before they get a yummy, that shows submission to me, their owner, but Lolly will ALWAYS get a cookie first, which reinforces her alpha status to everyone else.

Any dog higher up on the totem poll will hip-check the puppy, snap when he gets in their face too much (if they're correcting him they'll be grabbing for the back of his neck), and/or hold him down to dominate him and all of those things are totally normal and will not hurt the baby. That's exactly what his mama did to him when he was with the litter to tell him to stay in line, and puppies being naturally submissive, are very responsive to those types of cues.

Until you're comfortable with the 3 hanging out, I would stick to letting them play only when they can be supervised. It'll get better, they all just need to figure out what's what and where they stand.

Oh! Also: Don't let them share any bowls just yet, fights over food or "resources" are nasty and could ruin the blossoming relationships between them.

Carolina Girl

Thanks for all of the wonderful tips. I am now letting them all three in one room together with me supervising. At first I was "running to Mowgli's rescue" everytime Ozzy stood over him. But now I let him do it, and when he's done this for a while he'll kind of play with Mowgli. Mowgli is trying to nurse on both of the older doggies. It's quite comical. Since letting them work it out, it's gotten so much better. Daisy doesn't interact with Mowgli very much. But she will snap at him when he gets in her space too much. I was correcting Daisy for this at first. But after reading Anna's post, I just let Daisy be in charge and let him know what the boundaries are. I can see a light at the end of the tunnel!

You know, every little/medium/big pack is different and to a certain degree, you just need to let them work it out. Obviously don't allow anyone to be aggressive with the puppy, but pushing and pawing is normal and a ton of licking. Just be sure to give the puppy "alone" time to rest without being bothered...putting the crate on the table is good. I did that too, partially cause it was easier to get them in and out....LOL Good luck, every day will get easier cause you will learn their routines and know more when to and when not to intervene.