He peed his bed!

meganpatricia

I've been noticing Toby act out a little more lately, and today after being very lively all evening and trying to get into everything while I packed up the apartment (we are moving on Saturday), I realized he had peed on his new (thankfully CHEAP!!) bed while I wasnt looking. We live in a studio apartment, so its not usually hard to keep an eye on him, and he does not usually have accidents in the house, especially not in the middle of the room on his own bed! I suppose I can chalk it up to the chaos of all the boxes and things being taken apart, and his early adolescence. I'm tossing the bed though, it was too soaked to deal with. Guess its time to dial back the unsupervised freedom a little till we are more settled in a new routine. :)

ShihtzuBeauty

I can't have any beds in the house. :chickendance: JoJo will mark every single one of them everytime. :)

meganpatricia

wow, so is this a common theme among tzu owners? do your pups just sleep on the floor, or in crates?

2 better than 1

Pippin sleeps in our bed and never peed in his kennel when he was a puppy. Lyric has had one accident in her kennel, but that's it (as far as I know). It may just depend on the dog.

meganpatricia

just to clarify, the bed toby peed was his big pillow bed, which just kind of lays on the floor. he has never had an accident while confined.

oozy never wee's on anything apart from one little quilt I bought for him, everytime I wash it he wee's on it even in front of me, so ive given up and washed it but put it away (will make a good picnic mat)

kcsheperd

Payslee went through a phase of this too, and I had to do like Melissa said and just take all the fluffy puffy cute beds away for awhile..I'm now able to have them for my babes, but for some reason from the age of 12 weeks to 9 months Payslee would pee on the beds..She's fine with them now, and 100% potty trained, so you might just have to take them away for awhile, then reintroduce them later.. Shih-tzu's do funny things don't they! Little devils!

You said you are moving, he may be feeling a little stress from you too. Also, when you get to your new home, I would surely scale him back a bit to your earlier training days. He will be unfamiliar with the newness of the place and will be uncertain when and where to do his business. Just and FYI.

meganpatricia

Yes, I certainly will be dialing it back, the new place is carpeted while he is used to hardwood and area rugs. He has spent some time playing at a friends house who has carpet and hasnt had an accident so at least i know he does not consider carpet to be equal to a nice patch of grass. the new place will be great for doing tzoomies though!!! :)

Wicket's mom

Wicket peed in his bed once for no apparent reason after he was already potty trained (I think he was almost a year old). I just reacted the same way I did while training him, I firmly said "bad!!" grabbed him and put him outside where he's supposed to pee for a few mins (alone, I usually accompany him but he doesn't get that priviledge if he's done something bad) He seemed to have understood right away that he did something bad and never did it again.

I wouldn't take all beds away from Toby right away if you're able to keep an eye on him for a while. It may just be a one-time thing.

ShihtzuBeauty

I don't crate all of mine sleep in our bed and when they aren't there they have the furniture. Now that we're into summer even w/the central air sometimes they prefer to lay on the wood floors sometimes JoJo will even lay next to or on the register for the cool air.

• 1 month later...

Sophie came upstairs once when she was smaller and got in my bed. She immediately had her excited pee on my beautiful down comforter. UGHHH....needless to say...she never came in my room again! I have had her sleep in her crate since I got her. She seems really happy in her crate. She cuddles up under her bedding and doesnt make a sound all night. She even goes in before I send her to bed. Sophie never comes upstairs in my house at all. It is nice that I dont have to ever worry about her upstairs! I dont think it is mean...I think she loves her own area to sleep.

meganpatricia

Well, we have had no incidents since then. I think it was the chaos of moving that threw him off. We are now in a new apt with wall-to-wall carpet and have only had 2 accidents in the first couple weeks- thats nearly a month accident free. I think Toby gets it now and I trust him home alone uncrated if I wont be gone more than a few hours. And along with my trust he has earned a new replacement bed in blue velvet! :chickendance:

Little Molly

Well at least your's peed his own bed! Mine peed my son's bed the other day! I cleaned the matterass and turned it over immediately to dry.

THen I went and bought a latex matterass cover and put it on the bed.

Two days ago, Molly decided to pee on it again! Thank God I had the latex cover on it! It didn't get wet at all. Just the bedding, which I had to wash....again.

Don't know why she does this. Maybe there was some left over odor from the last time she did it and she "thought" it was OK to do it again.

I got on to her BIG TIME, and ...hopefully she won't do it again. But if she does...I will just launder again!

Glad your's is doing better!

Try closing the doors to the bedrooms.

Little Molly

Try closing the doors to the bedrooms.

Easier said than done. My son's door knob is broken. We will be getting that fixed...eventually.

We have a gate on our stairs, and we usually keep that closed. But when I go downstairs to put up clothes, I let her come with me. Only thing is, tzus are independant and don't stick with their mamma's...when exploring.

The first time I ever put Oliver on my bed he peed right in the middle of it! He's never done it again though. He has three beds - one in the kitchen, den, and my room. He rarely sleeps in any of them though. He starts off on my bed at night, but gets down on the floor sometime in the night. He never gets in his bed in my room at night. During the day he just flops down on the floor somewhere. I think it's cooler on the floor...