Male behavior in the extreme?

Cat Bounds

Marley is 7.5 months old, and the darling of my life. He has his odd little quirks, like being afraid of everything, but I'm enough of a nut case that I figure he's tailor made for me, all except the way he behaves sexually. When he first began humping his moose stuffed toy, at around 3 months old, I looked online, and it said it's not sexual but a show of dominance. Fine. He also tries to hump my husband's arm, not so fine with DH; he has never displayed this behavior with me, but he's my little shadow.

Well, the thing with the moose has become an obsession, and he would never play with another toy if I didn't hide moose most of the time. I give it to him when we're leaving the house. I figure it'll keep him busy and out of trouble.

But an even bigger concern is his behavior toward other dogs. He doesn't see many, just the occasional one brought over by a friend. I think there have been 5 dogs visit Marley, once, and I thought they'd play and romp in our huge, fenced in backyard, but the dogs all run around, trying to get away from him because he never stops sniffing their butts, male or female, licking them, and attempting to hump if they're still long enough. My nephew brought his female beagle over yesterday evening, and Marley spent most of the time on leash, gazing at her and whimpering because he simply wouldn't leave her alone. I feel sorry for him. He really loves company and pines when they leave but seems not to know how to interact with them.

Okay, is all that normal? Marley has not been neutered, and I was hoping not to have to, but if it will make him a calm, less nutty dog, I'll consider it. Is it a puppy thing that he'll outgrow? I don't know if this has anything to do with it, but after we got him, we learned that he had been taken away from his mother early. Any insights you can offer will be greatly appreciated!

Maz&Oozy

my lads a little bit younger than yours and he did the toy humping (blue duck) and we had him done when he was 6 months and the humping had got alot better, tho he never tried to hump any people or dogs but I think it would have started, so maybe the op will help.

Carolina Girl

I'm not sure about the neutering aspect. However, Ozzy had some social issues. (still has some) We got him when he was 6 months old. Not sure what happened in his life before then. He seems so excited to "play" with other dogs. But he doesn't seem quite sure how to play with them appropriatley. Maybe you could get him in a play group. Ozzy now goes every other Saturday to a play group and is doing so much better. He is learning to not "terrorize" the other dogs.

I'm sure that some others will be able to give you info as far as the neutering goes.......

Cat Bounds

Thank you both for your responses. I hesitated to ask, just not one of those topics you bring up usually, and I didn't mention that sometimes he actually climaxes, scared the dickens out of my husband the first time he saw it. He thought his private parts had exploded! :bdaycake:

I would love to get him in a play group, but we're in a rural area and not much opportunity, except with individual dogs. I've got a neighbor who has a small female dog, and we're mentioned getting the dogs together, but I'm not holding out much hope that she'll want to do it again after she sees how Marley behaves.

Boo and Gidgys Mom

Gaboo only would do that with one dog. An older male Dachshound. When :bdaycake: ever that dog was around Gaboo would go crazy, even humping the other dog's bed, and the dog's owner's arm. It must have had something to do with the dogs scent. Gaboo has always been around other dogs, and even has play days with another female Shih Tzu from down the street. She would always stick her butt in Gaboos face and he wasn't interested. The dachsound was the only one that he would do that to. It stopped after having him fixed. :blush-anim-cl:

FairyTail Josette

I am a big proponent of spaying and neutering our pets. There are so many health/behavior benefits to our pets for neutering and spaying. I advise to neuter Marley as soon as possible. The sooner, the better. You will see a drastic reduction in the inappropriate mounting. The sooner the procedue is done, meaning the younger Marley is....the better results and reduction of mounting. Here's a link for you I keep in my favorites listing benefits:

Neutering Benefits.

I know you mentioned you live in a rural area, but, socialization will really help with Marley being afraid of everything and not understanding how to interact with other dogs. My Maltese, Cody was taken away from his mother/litter too young also. I noticed he really suffered in not knowing how to interact and basic puppy behaviors that are learned from the mother and their litter mates. He went to puppy classes and that really helped him. So, if you can continue playdates with the neighbor's dogs that will continue to benefit him....but, Marley should be neutered asap, imo. :bdaycake:

Cat Bounds

Having Marley fixed may be where we're headed. At least Gaboo was faithful to one........... He's totally obsessed with all dogs. When Sadie the Beagle was here yesterday (He's 7 months; she's 7 years), he would even attack where she peed in the grass, licking it up! I gave him a shower before I put him to bed. And this morning, all he wants to do is smell everywhere she walked. I got a male because (my first indoor dog) I figured they were easier! :bdaycake:

Suzi, thanks for the link! I didn't even know there were benefits to neutering. I thought, leave 'em as whole as possible. I'll go start reading.

Seastar

I totally agree; neutering is the way to go if you want this behavior to diminish or disappear. Dhani used to use his "special bear", throwing her down on her face and going through the motions, even after he was neutered. But he has absolutely no dominance or sexy stuff anymore, and that's the way we like it. Neuter!!

Cat Bounds

Paula, how old was he when you had him neutered? Also, you said he acted out the behaviors even after he was neutered....at what age did he stop?

My husband just got back, and I told him that the general concensus was to neuter, and he's against it.....maybe male empathy, I don't know, but I'm going to have to build a pretty strong case if we're to do this in agreement.

Maz&Oozy

I have to say Oozy was doing it to his duck about 2 or 3 times a day of not more, now he is only doing it maybe once a week and infact I cant remember last time he did. I would def say Neuter him and also found he sleeps better at night.

I'm all for neutering. Before my Bandit was neutered he was always humping his toys and other dogs. He also seemed quite frustrated when around other dogs if he could not get on them. He would get mad if I pulled on his leash to get him to stop. I got him fixed and I can honestly say I have NEVER seen hump his toys or any dog again. Now that is not always the case. My Buddy still tries to get on Haley & he has been fixed & she has been fixed also, but he is not near as bad as he use to be. I'm sure it's a dominance thing now. It's kind of like my vet told me. Sometimes they have to remind us that they are dogs. :dunno:

Edited by mel
Cat Bounds

DH and I are still discussing. I agree with all of you that neutering is called for, but he's very much against it. Thanks for your responses.

Any ideas on why this thread was moved to Training/Crate Training/Potty Training? I can't see how this relates to any of those.

ShihtzuBeauty

DH and I are still discussing. I agree with all of you that neutering is called for, but he's very much against it. Thanks for your responses.

Any ideas on why this thread was moved to Training/Crate Training/Potty Training? I can't see how this relates to any of those.

It's a behavorial issue.

Seastar

Neutering is usually done at around 6 months, but many vets will do it sooner, and adoption places do it for young puppies. DH is being unreasonable. Let him know that this dog is not an expression of his own masculinity. The dog is relieved of his sexual frustrations and all the stuff that occurs with testosterone that he doesn't actually need. It is fairly common that men object to neutering--but they have no problem with spaying--and neither do we women... Lots to think about. You also have the godawful behavior of scent marking with intact males--peeing on your furniture and anything else they can reach.

Cat Bounds

Marley has just begun to mark outdoors, but he never has (knock wood) indoors. DH and I have reached a compromise, sort of. He agreed to my taking Marley to obedience classes, and if those don't help his behavior with other dogs, then we'll consider the neutering. The classes should also help to socialize him.

I really believe that a lot of this extreme behavior is the result of his insecurities; when another dog comes to visit him, it knows immediately that here is an insecure, whimpering little puppy, and he or she automatically takes on the role of alpha dog. One of his visitors was a prissy little yorkie named Haven who peed on his toys, took his chewie away from him, and growled if he got too close to her, but he loved her and pined when she left.

I'll keep you posted on how it goes. If I had known how much I could LOVE a dog, I'd have had one all my life!

eeyoredag

No one has mentioned this aspect of not neutering so far. My girlfriend's husband didn't want their dog neutered either. Their dog was diagnosed with testicular cancer. He died shortly afterwards. Just something else to think about.

ShihtzuBeauty

Yes it's extremely important to neuter and spay all of mine are but it doesn't eliminate the humping behavoir alltogether though. :blush-anim-cl: Both my girls and JoJo still do it it's funny though Choco never has done it I'm not sure he even has a clue it's weird, he's a little weird though. :blush-anim-cl:

Cat Bounds

Thank you all for your responses and for the link. Hubby and I are still in negotiations. Marley is my dog, but I do want to keep peace in the house, so we've got to work out way into this one gradually. The info on that site says neutering is done in the first year, so we've got a few months.