Question about behavior? How common is this?

Wagamuffin-girl

Hello, I have been a member here for a while, but life went crazy right after I joined, so I never really got a chance to join in! =( Hoping to get to know everyone now that life is a bit closer to normal!

I have a question about two behaviors...they seem related and all of this time we have thought they were just play and energy...but, recently we have started to wonder about the potential of it being more than that...Sadie has always had her moments of what we affectionately call "Bumblebee-ing" when she will just rip a figure 8 in the carpet flying around the house and going "rrrr--rrr--rrrrrr-rrr-rr-rrrr-r-r-rrrr" It's hilarious, really...like she is burning of an energy burst or something...and at times, when she wants to play...if no one is playing, or we have asked her to lie down, she will growl and twitch, like she is having random bursts of energy go through her body...if you look at her, she stops...and that is it...but, recently, there have been a few times when she jumped like that while lying down and there was no indication that she was feeling playful or anything. We aren't really sure what to think...anybody have a Tzu that behaves like this?

Thanks!! =)

Jeanene

Seastar

The bumblebee-ing sounds like the commonly reported "tzu 500", or the "zoomies". Not sure about the other thing, twitchy stuff. Probably normal, but if it worries you, ask the vet.

Hum, just saw this....yea, for sure the TZU 500....I call mine Tzu 300, cause I have 3 dogs....but most call it that with even just one dog...LOL

My Rudy used to do a twitching thing, mostly when I would hold him and usually after an energy burst....I worried about it awhile, but it is less and less frequent as he gets older and I never saw anything else to worry about....so I always say if you are worried about something...do talk to your vet, just to be safe....keep us posted, ok?

i'm going to vote for the tzoomies too. i laugh so hard i hurt my side everytime hunter gets revved up.

they are even better when the doggies have room to runn for a bit of a distance, like down a hallway, then you really get the full effect.

dunno about the twitches though. i know hunter twitches alot when he sleeps.

Chloe's Mama

My mom's dog Molly does "tzuoomies" around the dining room table at our friend, Mary's when we have supper there. My baby, Chloe does these little short bursts in my bathroom sliding across the floor, just before bedtime. She'll do it 3 or 4 times.

yep we get it here to... runs like a nutter round the coffee table then zooms into other half of room round the dining room table sometimes including a jump on sofa or run into hall way, we call it the Oozy zooms... or Tzu 500, does it nearly every day occ twice a day :)

LovieandHalo

My family has always called it the Bat Run! My childhood shih tzu did it and now Lovie and I'm sure Halo will too!