Bell house training

2 better than 1

Lyric is still too little to go down our stairs and since we live in a split foyer, it makes it difficult for her to tell us when she needs to go outside. Yesterday we started bell training in an attempt to make it easier for her to tell us when she has to go. We attached a bell to the banister at the top of the steps and have been ringing it and saying go potty when ever we head outside with her. She rang it a few times yesterday and has done it once today with my husband at home. I don't know if she is catching on or just playing with the bell, but the ringing is encouraging.

Just wondering if anyone else has done the bell training and if you have any tips? If Lyric catches on it would be great and I think it would speed up her potty training. Also, I am hoping that Pippin may catch on as well. We recently finished our basement and it would be nice if both of them rang the bell since we won't be able to see them at the door if we are downstairs.

Carolina Girl

This sounds fantastic! I have never tried this, but it sounds like a fix for my pups as well. Do you ring the bell or do you take their paw to ring it? Hmm....I'm for sure interested in this.....Looking forward to tips anyone may have....

MisterMom

I have a bell mounted 5" off the floor next to the door. None have ever rung it. I ring it every time we go out to potty. The only thing they have learned is that when the bell rings, it is time to go potty.

2 better than 1

I have read a few different approaches to this, but I think the key is to get them to ring the bell on their own, not for you to just ring it. Take their paw and make them ring it.

I have read that you are supposed to start by just ringing it when you go out and say "go potty" or whatever command you are using....this is just to get them used to hearing the bell whenever they go outside. Then after a few days you are supposed to say "go potty" and take their paw to hit the bell and give them a treat... then go outside and when they go potty give them another treat. With some dogs they catch on quickly that this means they get to go outside, which can lead to the bell ringing all the time for a while.... but they say to make sure to take them out EVERY TIME they ring it so they understand what it means. After a while they will tire of the game (hopefully) and just use it to go to the bathroom.

If anyone has done this method and made any discoveries please let us know.

Yep, we are bell ringers here too. I never treated for ringing the bell, but they still caught on very quickly. I just didn't want them to think to get a treat you ring the bell...rather, you ring the bell...your treat is to get to go potty....THEN you get the treat. I also started ringing it myself, and then switched to taking their paw to ring it and they do catch on quickly....again, consistency is the key.

You are right, it can become a game....Maddy used to ring it about every 15 minutes even tho I knew he didn't need to go...here he is and he had just come back in not 5 minutes before.....so you have to decide once they KNOW what it is for, if you are then gonna call their bluff. I now tell Maddy, not now and he will tire of being persistent and walk away....if he REALLY has to go, he will NOT stop....but I have learned this over time.

Carolina Girl

Cathy, Maddy is so adorable ringing his little potty bells. I just don't think that mine are smart enough to do this..... I tell mine that it's time to go out, instead of them telling me.

Cathy, Maddy is so adorable ringing his little potty bells. I just don't think that mine are smart enough to do this..... I tell mine that it's time to go out, instead of them telling me.

HeHe....too funny....you would be surprised, just start slow and let them know what is expected....they will catch on, just NEVER go out without touching a paw to the bell once you have done it yourself a couple of days....AND use your phrase....wanna go outside, or gotta potty, or whatever you say before going out.

2 better than 1

I haven't started using treats yet, so maybe I won't since they may come to expect it... you are right when you say that the reward is going outside. I hope they can catch on... especially Lyric since we are having a hard time getting her to go down the steps. I think that she is finally big enough, but just a little scared. She goes up the steps without a problem. I will keep you posted! And if anyone else decides to try it out, let me know how it goes!

LovieandHalo

Haha. This reminds me of when I tried this with Lovie. I got that special bell that looks like one on a counter in a hotel. It has a paw on it so designed for this. Can't remember the name of the product. Anyways.. I too tried it and when I rang it, Lovie went tail between her knees running away afraid. She hated it. She started to just avoid the area of where the door was with the bell sitting there.

End result, Belle was sold on Craigs list! She wanted no part of it. Trust me, I wanted it to work, b/c she doesn't bark at all, ever and would never tell me when she needed to go out.