Baby Gates

2 better than 1

We would like to purchase a baby gate for the bottom of our steps to the basement to keep Pippin upstairs while we are gone. We have new carpet now and don't want him having any "accidents" while we are away (we know they aren't accidents - he does it on purpose when he's mad at us).

Does anyone have baby gate in their home that they would recommend? This would be for a 42-inch doorway. If we can we would like to put it at the top of the steps so one side would have a wall and the other a banister - but if that doesn't work we can put at the bottom of the steps using 2 walls.

I have been searching the internet, but it's quite overwhelming and many gates can get quite expensive. I am hoping to spend no more than about $40 or $45.

Thanks in advance!

I have 4 of the wooden baby gates that pressuure mount inside a door frame that collapse like an accordion. I also use a exercise pen for a larger opening & it doubles for trips as an exercise pen. The wooden ones I now just lean up against the door fame, they won't attempt to go through them.

Long time ago I bought them $15 or there about.

2 better than 1

The cheap ones at Walmart or Target don't expand wide enough since it's a larger doorway. That's where I'm running into problems. I have a 42-inch doorway.

First Years model 7186

I have one, and I just measured it. It's 42" at it's widest setting. It's not aesthetically pleasing, it LOOKS like s $10 baby gate, but it works. :)

Or, you could shop around a bit: Wide Wire Mesh Gate - looks a little better made and opens to 50". Online only, though....

-m

Edited by mr.coffee
2 better than 1

I'll have to keep looking. We had bought one of those cheap ones at Walmart and it wasn't big enough, but maybe I can find another some where else. Thanks!

GizmoHappyKitty

Toys R Us has these baby gates by Safety 1st that are $31.99 and fit 42" openings.

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2265784

If your dogs are climbers I recomend this type of gate and this one at Toys R Us is $34.99 and fits openings up to 42 1/2"

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3597828

Michele and the pups

2 better than 1

I had found that second one online and it would be perfect but they are sold out. I even contacted the manufacturer and it is not longer being made. Pippin can climb, so that would have been perfect! I think I'm going to keep looking for something like that though. Thanks for your help!

My shih tzu is not a climber or jumper at all. He is also a big chicken when it comes to baby gates. So I just went to Target and bought those white wire organizer things. I put them all together to make a long fence and he doesn't go near it. It is only 14 inches high so people can easily step over it. A box of these organizers is about $15 and I can make probably 3 long fences out of it. My sisters maltese, who is bolder than my tzu, comes over and just pushes them out of the way. So I guess it just depends on your dog.

I have two of these, which can confine my babies to only the kitchen and family room:

http://www.petmountain.com/show_product/11442-521153

My babies can get out of the small door, so it's always kept closed.

I've bought a number of things from Pet Mountain (mainly toys) and have been very happy with their products and shipping.

• 1 month later...
mommiesbabies

We had to start keeping our oldest Maltese Tassy confined. I got these walk over gates made by four paws. They come in wide and are pressure mounted. I like the height best though...........I can step over them but the dogs can't! I thinkl I got them from Pet Mountain.

Love those, we have one to keep our dogs in our kitchen/hearth room and I love NOT having to remove them every time we want to come or go from the room. I just leave it all the time and lift the dogs over when it is time to go back to the bedroom. They are nice.