We have had Wally for five weeks now. He will soon be 16 months old. Most things are working out really well, but we are having a problem with taking him with us in the car or truck. It does not seem to matter which of us are driving. He trembles the whole time. We have been trying to take him for short rides each day and giving him a goody at the end of the ride. Tried offering one at the start and he is not interested. Does anyone have any tips how we can help him overcome his fear?

Thanks, Bett

My first, Angel, has never liked riding in a vehicle. Even today after 9 years, when you put her in the car she sits where you put her & even on a long trip, never shuts her eyes. I finally got her to quit quivering by sitting her right next to me on the front seat. Lots of short rides, stroking, talking to start. The other 3 have no problems.

Carolina Girl

I have one that doesn't like to ride in the car. The other two LOVE going for rides. I just keep taking him on short rides just to get him used to it. Before I put him into the car, I'll take him for a little jog around the block. This kind of mellows him out a bit. Good luck!

I have heard you can even put them in and start the car without even going anywhere, just so they hear the engine....give treats throughout the trip also...assuming there has been no car sickness.

I would just start by putting him in a non-moving, turned on car at first. Start with maybe 5 minutes in the car and feed him treats the entire time. Also try finding a really cool toy for him that he can have ONLY in the car. Also use super high value treats, like small bits of boiled chicken. And remember to be calm. Speak in soft even tones, but don't be overly babying. After maybe a week of 5 minutes in the car, build up to 10 minutes. Then more. Watch his body language and see how it goes.

Also, if he doesn't know any basic commands, teach him. It's amazing how knowing some basic commands can really boost a dog's confidence. Practice the commands in the car to distract him from whatever is making him nervous. I make Sophie run through all of her commands when she starts barking at other dogs and it works pretty well.

Hope that helps and good luck!

savri dream

Alfie was really scared too he wouldn't take treats either but i found that if i lifted him up to the window so he could see what what going on outside it took his mind off the movement of the car now he doing great doesn't seem to mind it at all he even fell asleep on my knee in it on sunday good luck with it

If Wally is just afraid in the car and isn't throwing up, the best thing to do is convince him the car is the same thing as the family room. You take him out there and have a snack while listening to the radio or reading a book (and he gets a treat!). You take him out there and make a few calls (and he gets a treat!). Etc., etc. It's really amazing how many things you can do just sitting in a car!

Once he realizes nothing bad is going to happen in the car, you do the same thing with the motor running. Once he realizes nothing bad is going to happen in the car with the motor running, you do the same thing and then drive around the block...then around a couple of blocks...then around a couple more blocks...you get my drift.

This is desensitization, and it works. Good luck!