Behavior and Play - Instigating chase games

lucyliu_2000

I have a 2 year old spayed, female Shih Tzu and I recently moved in with my sister who has 3 male Golden retrievers and 1 female Bernese. They are getting along great, and they are having a great time together, but on at least 3 occassions throughout the day, my Shih Tzu instigates high energy play, and encourages the Bernese and the youngest Golden (both under 2 years of age), to chase her. It instantly creates chaos in the house and my sister and I would like this type of play discouraged. How do you suggest we discourage this behavior without discouraging play altogether?

Make sure all of the dogs are getting adequate exercise--those big dogs need to walk/run for quite some distances *daily*. then they won't be so ready to play rough in the house.

I agree, make sure the dogs are getting enough exercise.

I also teach my dogs a command which I call "Enough/Stop." It pretty much means stop what you're doing, whether it's barking, running, etc. Here's how I go about training it...

1.) When your dog is barking, running, murdering a toy, etc. say in a nice loud, distracting voice, "Enough!" (or whatever you want the command to be).

2.) When the dog stops whatever it is doing and looks at you, treat with a super delicious treat and praise like crazy.

3.) If the dog does not look at you, make funny noises, etc. to get the pup's attention. When the dog looks at you, follow Step 2.

4.) Remember, say your command only once.

This is one of those super repetitive commands and the quickest way to teach it is by having 2-3, short training sessions every day.

Hope that helps!

I agree, make sure the dogs are getting enough exercise.

I also teach my dogs a command which I call "Enough/Stop." It pretty much means stop what you're doing, whether it's barking, running, etc. Here's how I go about training it...

1.) When your dog is barking, running, murdering a toy, etc. say in a nice loud, distracting voice, "Enough!" (or whatever you want the command to be).

2.) When the dog stops whatever it is doing and looks at you, treat with a super delicious treat and praise like crazy.

3.) If the dog does not look at you, make funny noises, etc. to get the pup's attention. When the dog looks at you, follow Step 2.

4.) Remember, say your command only once.

This is one of those super repetitive commands and the quickest way to teach it is by having 2-3, short training sessions every day.

Hope that helps!

Sounds like a great training method....wonder if it would work on my dogs jumping up on people when they come in our house....we have so few guests, it is hard to practice with any consistency....also my youngest jumps up against the back of my legs when he wants me to pick him up, but when I turn around to do it, he backs away....he is very hard to get him to come to me for petting....he almost acts like someone has hit him, but once he gets over where you can get him, he LOVES being petted and picked up....very weird.

luvmybabies

Just off the top of my head you could try this Cathy. When he jumps at the back of your legs open your legs and lure him through with a treat. Of course you will have to keep treats on your person to be effective and consistent. I have never had this problem. My Benji waits till he sees me coming to get him and then runs but it is just a game to him.

I had a few of my dogs to the vet the other day....Benji to have him look at a couple of retained baby teeth....and the vet assistant was holding the leash. After a few moments she exclaimed that he just had that "look" about him that he was looking for the next thing to get into to be bad! I told her she needed to come to my house to see him in action!! I have never had a dog like him. He keeps me guessing what he is going to get into next. First of all my pap (the alpha wannabe) would try to discipline him, then the real alpha dog (under me of course) started disciplining him and now the young malt is doing it. He seems to be constantly doing no no's in the pack's routine too. This will probably be the last dog I get so Whoever up there makes decisions about who gets what dog He wanted to make sure my last one had a bit of everything in him lol!! I love him to bits though. Today I was doing training for an upcoming show and decided to do some with them all....three are actively training now, the Golden and oldest malt are supposed to be retired but did so well I may bring them out of retirement for the Fed. show and then Benji. Benji has had very little training except some very basic conformation stacking and a bit of gaiting which I am not that good at (not my game). He watches through the gate when I do the others. Well his head must be on straight, despite his making mine whirl, because he did all the basic obedience (some took a little work, but hey his first time!) and he did pretty well all the Rally Novice exercises very easily. I would expect this, as he turns 8 mo. today, if he had been training since I got him.....Connor was trained early and could do all this too at that age...but he had no training at all. It just goes to prove that dogs learn even by watching!!

For the jumping on people I always do the following. I don't say "down" as that means lay down. I say "off" and push them off. When they sit nicely in front I give them a treat. ( My Golden always jumped on me.) Try this with all family members......keep treats in your pockets, even kibble, and treat every time they sit nicely. Soon just the command "off" when they even come close enough to attempt jumping will signal you won't tolerate any jumping and it is much better and more rewarding to just sit and get a treat! You have to be very firm when teaching this, don't wimp out as this is a dangerous behaviour as they may jump up on a child and topple him/her. Also they may jump on a friend's lovely clean clothes and leave big muddy paw prints! I used to get very annoyed at my daughter's pug for doing this!! This won't happen overnight but be consistent and it WILL happen. Good Luck.