So Nervous! I need some advice

Okay I am getting extremely nervous about tomorrow. Maya is coming home and I am worried about Titus. Up to this point Titus has had my undivided attention and all the lovins. I know that he is still a puppy (8 months) and wants to play all the time so I’m hoping this is a plus. A few weeks ago I started moving his food and water dish into the living room (so I can keep Maya in the kitchen with the gate up during feedings) he took well to that and I also put Maya’s crate up next to his with her blankets and toys locked in it so he knows something is going on. I really just need some advice from someone who has been through all of this. What would be the best way to introduce them? What should I watch out for?

GizmoHappyKitty

Mine have never had a problem getting used to another pup. When I got Kitty it did take my previous dog Gizmo about 7 days before he would start to play with her though (I just got down on the ground and started playing with both of them together). Gizmo was a year old when we got Kitty at 10 wks old.

When Gizmo passed and Kitty got real depressed we decided to get another pup (Lucky). She took to Lucky right away and started playing with him. Kitty was 5 when we got Lucky and Lucky was 9 1/2 weeks.

Lucky is 9 mo. old now and I took him to see my friends little 8 wk. old pups yesterday, he was so cute trying to get the puppies to play with him..............lol.

None of my dogs are territorial, they are used to strange dogs comming in for grooming all the time, so I just introduced them in the livingroom. Some people suggest a neutral territory or back yard, but I don't like letting my little pups down in public parks and stuff until they've had all of their puppy shots.

Michele and the pups

Carolina Girl

I knew that Daisy would be fine with our new puppy (Mowgli). But Ozzy was a whole other story. He is incredibly territorial! As bad as he is, it only took about a week for them to become great buddies. The only real problem that I had was that Ozzy kept wanting to stand on Mowgli. Actually stand on top of him...... It was such a weird thing.... I let him know that it was not okay to do that. Eventually he stopped. Then the roles reversed....Mowgli was the one terrorizing Ozzy. He would pull his ears and beard, chew on his tail. I followed the advice here and would put Mowgli into his crate and let Ozzy and Daisy have a break from him. I think this helped for the them not to resent him.

Good luck!

I think all are different, but I would watch for signs of stress from EITHER of them. Make sure they have their "alone" time and be prepared to keep the puppy on schedule for potty, eating and sleeping. I think that is key, plus it gives Titus the "normalcy" he is used to. I am so envious....I LOVE puppies. Can't wait for new pics.

I totally agree with the alone time! I think too many people force their new dogs on each other and then that's why things go wrong. I have crates for each dog and they know that these are their "bedrooms." Sophie is the biggest brat in the world and is a huge bully. So when Blue is being obnoxious, she simply goes to her crate.

Give lots of praise and small treats when they're playing nicely together. Make a big deal about it. And always remember, keep yourself calm! If you act like the new puppy is no big deal, Titus will see that its not so bad. Try to keep your shoulders as relaxed as possible. I've even found that sometimes yawning helps. It shows the dog that if you're relaxed enough to yawn, then it must be OK.

I think everything will work out just fine. Just relax, make sure to give Titus lots of kisses, and let things happen. You'll be fine! :yum:

Thanks everyone. :yum:

Titus has been crate trained since day one of being home and like I said I already have Maya's crate all set up and ready to go. It was funny at first because Titus would stare at the crate and whine for at least an hour at a time. He's been trying to get her blankets and toys out through the bars as well. Poor thing! My main concern is how he will act though, he's a sweetie and loves everyone (including dogs) I just don't want him to feel as though he has been replaced by the shinny new puppy ;)

I'm so excited and hope everything goes well tomorrow. Look for tons of pictures tomorrow night :)