I so was hoping that it would be a bit easier

Well I think I'm going a bit crazy with Maya over here. Potty training Titus wasn't the easiest thing in the world but we pulled through and as of August (he was 5 months old) we were completely potty trained. I was HOPING that with Maya it would be a bit easier, I was thinking that Titus might be able to show her the ropes and help her along. It has been almost a month that Maya has been home and it's as if it's still the first day, not one ounce of progress. Well let me retract that, she went outside just a bit ago and I was so excited jumping up and down, gave her a treat and told her how great she was. When we went back inside I guess she decided that she wasn't done. My carpets are hating me right now. Even with Crate training, she will hold it and hold it and hold it, she won't go outside but will jump to business as soon as she touches the carpet.

I think I need a support group right about now. :kissing:

This is a support group. And let me tell you right now, none of us has carpets. Not even a throw rug. Keep your chin up! Girls are way harder! Plus it's cold outside! :kissing:

Carolina Girl

Yep, no carpet here! The throw rugs that I have are machine washable. Dogs love to go on carpet! Everytime I think we're good, I'll put one of my good rugs out and sure enough someone will pee on it! It is very frustrating!!

Maya is still a baby, things will get better!

Claudiabehr

Ditto. No rugs here except for the throw-in-the-washer type. Piss on the floor! See if I care, Little Cadbury.

Emma's mommy

Hang in there Lissa. Things will get better soon , I'm sure! Keep doing what you are doing.... she'll get it. :kissing:

Lissa, I feel your pain. Josie was so hard, when she was 8 months old, I was crying on my sisters shoulder cause I felt I was doing something wrong. Some just get it faster than others, but don't give up.....keep up the treats and potty dance when she does good. If she does NOT go when you take her out, then kennel her when you bring her in and go again in 10-15 minutes....keep up the routine, she will eventually get it. Good luck and ~~HUGS~~

Thanks everyone. My house is mostly hardwood floors but the family room and basement (where I spend most of my time) are carpeted. HOPEFULLY little Maya will catch on soon, I just hope I don't lose my mind before then :kissing:..... You know I had always heard that boys were harder to potty train then the girls... BUt I guess your right Paula. I still wish the weather was a wee bit better so we could spend more time outside, I really do believe that is what helped Titus to pick up on where to and not to go.

luvmybabies

Well, I have done the best I can with mine and they all go on pee pads except my golden. I am getting really tired of cleaning up those though and am going to talk to my hubby to build some kind of enclosure with access from the deck come summer. But no matter how well they are trained if they are let in the living room where my rug is they have a real urge to go on the carpet. I love having them there to cuddle but have to put belly bands on my two worst ones (little malt and pap) and watch the others pretty closely when I do altho must say the tzus very seldom pee there. My hubby and I are in negotiations on whether we should put all linoleum or the like throughout the house. I have that laminated wood now in the entranceway and kitchen and believe me that is not the answer either. Does anyone like it? Even if they don't pee on it the sweat glands on their feet make marks all over and it never looks clean very long. Anyway at the moment I long for no rugs in my house too so my life would be easier!

ShihtzuBeauty

We pulled up every carpet in our house when my beloved st.bernard was sick w/cancer he couldn't help it when he was sick he wold pee and poo wherever now I have the laminate floors and tile in the kitchen/bathroom I will Never go back to carpet even w/out furkids they hold in Every oder in your home.

I told my sister though while she's potting training her little one even w/her wood floors when Molly has an accident she needs to disinfect the area completely they can still smell it. She had several area rugs but I've finally convinced her to remove them all. She uses pee pads like me too and now she's Completely trained.

All of mine use the pads and they go outside it's nice because if we're not home they have the ability to relieve themselves plus I knew the Minute Taffy had a urinary infection and caught it right from the begining. Good Luck and hang in there. :)

Well I decided that I'm going to get the Trusted Shampooer out tonight and try to get some of the smell out. I usually use Resolve but does anyone have suggestions? With family coming over in 3 days I'm a bit parnoid about the carpet smelling :)

Have you tried using vinegar/water and baking soda?

Honestly, when you said you had a difficult time with the first one not pottytraining until 5 months I was thinking how most with small breeds wish it were that easy!! And this one has only been home for a month. These are very, very young ages, especially for a small breed. The key is constant supervision and preventing all accidents. And if you're lucky they will be totally trained by a year. I grew up with only med to large dogs. These potty training problems were foreign to me!! Because IMO, a dog that will pee on carpeting despite being totally pottytrained is not really pottytrained. I have rarely met a small dog without potty issues of some kind......

We have one area rug on the expanse of hardwood and since we watch our bunch like hawks the occasional accident has been dealt with instantly. Two words: Nature's Miracle.

Agreed. Nature's Miracle. We have a bottle of it in every room.

Tile and wood here as well! A line of 8 Shih Tzu form at the mere sight of a simple bath rug :)

hahahahaha! i'm just picturing that.

luckily for me, hunter was house trained when i got him. the only times i have problems is if i leave him home too long or if he really needs to go when i jump in the shower and i don't know it. otherwise he just has the run of the house at home and at my parents.

Emma's mommy

I agree, Nature's Miracle.... It works SO well. Get the one that says it removes STAINS as well as the ODOR. I have very light colored carpet and I sprayed it on the spot completely and left it over night. ( before using the Natures Miracle, I would blot up the exceess moisture up first ) The next morning the smell and stain was gone.

mr.coffee

I buy the big bottle and fill a smaller spray bottle. I blot the bulk up first, then saturate with NM. We haven't needed it in ages, but when we did, it was awesome. People always talk about how you can smell the doggy smell in most dog owners' homes, but not ours!

-m

Gallons. Get it by the gallons.

Yay!! So excited I just recieved the Nature's Miracle Carpet cleaner today :) So Now I have a few carpets to clean. I hope it works as well as everyone says :(