Bark Control Collars?

Has anyone had experience with Bark Control Collars- Not the shock ones but the ones that spray a mist in your dogs face. Maya has been barking at any and everything for the past two weeks now and I don't know what else to do. I have tried saying her name sternly, spraying water from a water bottle and no such luck. The water bottle works until she sees me walk away and put the bottle down then she's right back at it. So I am considering a spray bark collar, I'm not sure if I agree with them but I really don't know what else to do. Titus has never been as vocal as she is and I'm afraid that he might pick up the bark habit. My ears really can't take it, especially at 2am :(

Don't know where she sleeps, but if you leave a fan, radio, or TV on they can't hear other noises that make them bark

loewenthal.anna

As a rule with my little guys, i take barking to mean they need something. They will bark INCESSANTLY if their water is too worm/cold/old, if they are out of food, the food is too old, or they are cold. Other than that and the noise of Adam or I jingling our keys outside the door they are very quiet so I can't say I have much experience with bark control.

That said, the first issue that springs to mind with a spray collar is that what they spray is citronella, not water (maybe they have a water one?) and the Tzu has a VERY compact face/head so I would worry about chemical spraying either in the eyes (cuz lets face it, they're bulgy) or in the mouth/nose, all of which I wouldn't think would be good for a dog. Most of those products are geared toward your "standard dog" meaning a medium build and a long muzzle, neither of which our breed has.

Have you considered a wall-mountable bark eliminator that emits a high frequency sound? I would think that would be a far better choice for this breed and I know folks who find them quite effective.

Or, you could try pheromone therapy which is something we've been educating ourselves a lot about at the clinic. Seems to come in a room diffuser (think of a fabreeze plug-in), an area/bed spray, and a collar much like a tick collar with them being in that order when it comes to effectiveness. They emit a pheromone similar to that of a mama dog and in our patients have been quite effective in mediating all sorts of bad behavior that stems from stress and compulsion/neurosis. Dunno, I would think that barking at nothing would fall into that category.

Just some thoughts. Not against the idea of a spray (or even a shock) collar inherently, but I am a big believer in tailoring any and all discipline to the dog and their natural tendencies. For instance, i wouldn;t use a shock collar on my mastiffs because they'd likely act out right through the minor pain, and I wouldn't use a bark suppressant on a basset hound, they just make noise!

mr.coffee

+1 to that, Anna!

Harley barks when he's riled up and wired, when people arrive, or when he wants/needs something. There was a brief period when he barked to hear himself bark, but it didn't last. We didn't really actively try to change it. He barked when we left for a while, but he outgrew that as well.

-m

Wow thanks for all the information Anna, The collars that I have been looking at are just water, they also emit a high frequency sound when activated as well. I haven't looked into a wall mounted system but I will now :(

I'm starting to think that she's barking just to hear herself lol, there isn't anything she wants or needs. It doesn't matter what time of day or what temp the house is, she just won't stop the barking. As far as I know there isn't anything wrong with her medically since we were just at the vet on Monday.

I know that sometimes Miley jumps up on the back of the couch and looks at my moms house and barks....

That means she wants to go to my moms and play with her best friend Gracie.

Or she'll bark at cats to get out of the yard.

Sometimes she'll be barking at something and then all she'll want is for me to get up and she what shes barking at. lol

Usually miley's has a meaning... but I find that when she barks excessivly a spray water bottle makes her stop. lol Usually all i gotta do is pick it up And she'll stop.

The high frequency wall mount didnt work for miley. She just barked back at it. but its worth a shot.

I agree with Anna. I usually don't recommend the spray collars for dogs with the smushed faces. I would try the high pitched frequency method first.

Also, how much mental stimulation is Maya getting? I have found that dogs will bark randomly out of sheer boredom. Have you tried any toys that make her work for food and treats? Kongs stuffed with yummy things? I don't know what I'd do with Sophie if she didn't have her kong!

Hope that helps!

I agree with Anna. I usually don't recommend the spray collars for dogs with the smushed faces. I would try the high pitched frequency method first.

Also, how much mental stimulation is Maya getting? I have found that dogs will bark randomly out of sheer boredom. Have you tried any toys that make her work for food and treats? Kongs stuffed with yummy things? I don't know what I'd do with Sophie if she didn't have her kong!

Hope that helps!

We have a couple Kongs and the hide-a-squirel (both of them love that) I really think that she barks just to hear herself though.

***UPDATE***

I did purchase a high pitch monitor yesterday and it has worked like a charm. Didn't wake up once to barking. Didn't hear her singing while I took a shower this morning and guess what??? No more barking at people walking down the sidewalk. OMGoodness. I think I just bought my best friend yesterday j/k

mr.coffee

You know, here's a thought. I think dogs are very much creatures of habit - aren't we all? I imagine she had started the habit of barking because she could, now you will help her form a new habit of not barking unless there's a reason to...after a while, you might see how she does without the bark monitor.

With Harley, I'm glad he's not entirely silent. I like that he barks when we play, I'm glad that he barks when he needs something, and I'm glad that he barks when he senses something wrong. Tuesday, I had band practice, and when I came to the door he knew I was there before I even had the door open, gruffly woofing to alert the family. Of course, when he realized it was me, he stopped barking and began wibbling and giving me the "full body wag." :) Again, same night, about 5:00 AM, I'm not sure what he heard or sensed, but he decided something wasn't right, and woke us up with nudges and soft woofs. He didn't stop, and took a clear posture of alertness facing the bedroom door, so I immediately got up and cleared the house. I found nothing wrong, but I'd rather a false alarm than be awakened by an intruder standing over me. Perhaps he heard Devon shifting in his bed or a neighbor up and about, I don't know. What I do know is that he has an excellent track record of knowing when something's up.

Anyway, yeah....the point is, a good habit of not barking unnecessarily is great, but after the habit is formed, I'd not suppress the bark altogether.

-m

We have a couple Kongs and the hide-a-squirel (both of them love that) I really think that she barks just to hear herself though.

***UPDATE***

I did purchase a high pitch monitor yesterday and it has worked like a charm. Didn't wake up once to barking. Didn't hear her singing while I took a shower this morning and guess what??? No more barking at people walking down the sidewalk. OMGoodness. I think I just bought my best friend yesterday j/k

Just on a side note if you have kids visiting unplug the thing because they can hear them too. The one we had did nothing to stop Gage, but drove my son crazy!