All of a sudden, since yesterday my little Zoe is acting odd, as if she is afraid of me!!!!!!!!!!!!! She did not want to go for a ride and then when I wanted to take her for a walk, which she loves, she did not want to come to me to put her leash on. What is happening!!!

Hi Claudia, gosh, it could be so many things....s .my Rudy is like that, every time I reach down to pick him up, he backs away form me....he will come jump up on my leg and want me to pick him up, but is I reach down, he backs off....I don't know if it is a game or what. Then other times, he will lay still for me to pick him up....he almost acts like I have hurt him, but never have I , of course. He will ALWAYS come over if I have a treat, but even then, if I reach for him, he backs off...yet, he lays on my lap and up next to me at night....you can tell he loves me like crazy, just is strange about picking him up.

So....I too will be interested in what others have to say. Hopefully, this will not last and pass very soon....maybe she is just going through a spell. How old is she?

FairyTail Josette

All of a sudden, since yesterday my little Zoe is acting odd, as if she is afraid of me!!!!!!!!!!!!! She did not want to go for a ride and then when I wanted to take her for a walk, which she loves, she did not want to come to me to put her leash on. What is happening!!!

I'm sorry to hear this. I understand and would be upset too. I would rule out any medical problems first, by going to your vet. Sometimes, when dogs are in pain it's not evident to us. But, there will be tell tale signs by the types of behavior your describing. Good luck, keep us posted on Zoe. :)

luvmybabies

Suzi is right. Many years ago I took my little peekapoo (first small dog) to get groomed. I told them I wanted him scissor cut, not to use the razor. Well you all know that not all groomers listen. He looked fine to me but for the next couple of days he acted funny. Finally I was reading my book in bed and he came over and sat on my face. I picked him up to give him a belly rub thinking he wanted attention and affection and to my horror I saw his little "family jewels" had scabs all over. Apparently the groomer used the razor there. My vet said it was razor burn and the vet bill was higher than the grooming bill so guess who did his trims at home......with scissors!! So, please take Zoe to the vet if this situation doesn't resolve itself very soon.

It was the Parvo and Rabies shot she got on Monday. Yesterday the vet gave her a Steroid shot and she is ok now!!!! So be aware that the reaction could take that long!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Carolina Girl

Hi Claudia, gosh, it could be so many things....s .my Rudy is like that, every time I reach down to pick him up, he backs away form me....he will come jump up on my leg and want me to pick him up, but is I reach down, he backs off....I don't know if it is a game or what. Then other times, he will lay still for me to pick him up....he almost acts like I have hurt him, but never have I , of course. He will ALWAYS come over if I have a treat, but even then, if I reach for him, he backs off...yet, he lays on my lap and up next to me at night....you can tell he loves me like crazy, just is strange about picking him up.

So....I too will be interested in what others have to say. Hopefully, this will not last and pass very soon....maybe she is just going through a spell. How old is she?

Cathy, my Mowgli does this as well! I think it's a game..... He jumps on my leg for me to pick him up and as soon as I reach for him, he backs up! If I sit down he comes right over and gets on my lap. It's just when I go to pick him up! What a little ding dong!

Some of mine do this too, especially Dhani. What he's wanting is for me to be stable, preferably standing, and in a likely posture for a successful pick-up. He has learned (the hard way, I'm sure) that if I try to pick him up leaning off my bed, or a chair, that I am risking losing my balance and dropping him, or holding on in an uncomfortable way. He just backs up till he sees me like he wants me, then he'll come up and get in position for being picked up (back to me, at an angle so both hands can hold on to chest and belly).

luvmybabies

What a smart dog, Paula!!

loewenthal.anna

Poor baby! Vaccine reactions can have so many different symptoms they're often overlooked but you are right to caution as many little dogs do get reactions. I'm so glad you caught it before it became more severe!!

That depo shot is amazing isn't it? Glad it was such a simple fix for you, and if you've not already, I would make sure that your vet writes in your chart about the reaction so that if you ever go to a different vet they will have a heads up about the situation. Also know that pre-treating with benedryl under a vets supervision will make it so that your baby can still get the vaccines he needs, without all the side effects.

• 2 weeks later...

I am so relieved to read that my Tucker isn't the only knuckle-head who likes the run-from-mommy when she wants me game, lol.. for the longest time I was hurt, and frustrated and annoyed that I could NEVER pick him up when I wanted to, because he delighted in running from me. Mommy won in the end though, because I taught him the "on" command, now every time I want to pick him up, I command him up onto his room with a view - window look-out thing, (yeah, he's spoiled), lol.. and up he goes without hesitation. No more chasing.

I'm so glad your baby turned out to be fine though!! What a relief.