Would someone please reassure me - at my wits end

bobbysmummy

This is my first post so please be gentle, its going to be a long one.

I have a 6 month old Shih-Tzu boy Bobby and two 6 month old Lhasa Apso's Jasmine & Honey.

Before anyone says, I know I am absolutely mad but thats another story. :happydance:

We first got Bobby when he was 8 weeks old and he has been the perfect potty trained pup, we crated him from the beginning. We then bought the girls a few weeks ago at 5 months old they had never been apart, been apparently crate and potty trained. From the minute we brought them home, Honey the more submissive of the two constantly cries if I leave the room, hates being in her crate and both of them have started to pee in their crates. I know they are new to us and still settling in but I just dont know how much more I can take. I love them to piece already and it breaks my heart that they seem so unhappy, we just want them to feel loved and secure.

I know that the advice I keep reading everywhere is not to have two puppies together but I couldnt seperate them and knowing them as I do now, they wouldnt cope a minute without each other. Since we have had them we have been trying to do things seperately with each puppy. We train, walk, feed and groom each on their own to get them used to being without each other. I have also seperately crated them. They are always with Bobby if theyre not with each other which seems to work ok. im also doing extra training with Honey to increase her confidence.

I think it may have been a bit of a change overload, new house, new rules etc. what are your thoughts, advice please x

ParadiseTzu

I see no one has answered so you might want to check out the post called "Panic/Dribbling" It has some of the same discussed.

Good luck to you and welcome!

Lhasa Apsos are very different from Shih Tzu, although it is generally agreed that the Lhasa Apso was used in the early development of the Shih Tzu breed. You might want to check with a Lhasa Apso forum or list for answers to your problem.

Someone really should mention . . . YOU ARE ABSOLUTELY MAD FOR HAVING 3 PUPPIES AT ONCE WHAT WERE YOU THINKING! . . . That said, good luck, and we are happy to have you at Chatter. Let us know what finally works for your Lhasas.

:please::gathering: :congrats:

Someone really should mention . . . YOU ARE ABSOLUTELY MAD FOR HAVING 3 PUPPIES AT ONCE WHAT WERE YOU THINKING! . . . That said, good luck, and we are happy to have you at Chatter. Let us know what finally works for your Lhasas.

:birthday_toast::gathering::welcomeani:

Paula, I resemble that remark. As you may recall, I had 3 puppies at once. (Or was it 4?) And whose fault was it? Maybe the person who had that absolutely WONDERFUL litter last year?

Guilty as charged! I've done two puppies at once, but never three. Three is utter madness.

loewenthal.anna

Although I did say it in the other thread you were guided to, I thought I would mention again that in my experience building confidence in a puppy has a LOT to do with being comfortable on their own, not just away from littermates. I do understand the compulsion to allow a submissive dog to be. "With friends", but as I can attest to with my own submissive male, it's a disservice in the long run.

Yes, there will be wailing and carrying on at first, but within a few days Honey should learn that she is just fine one her own and that being solo DOES NOT equate to being" left" or" abandoned".

The way I've always done this is to reserve a very favorite toy only for the crate, and to treat liberally (even feed) in the crate so it becomes a place where many good things happen. You'll find your crew looking FORWARD to crating in anticipation of the goodies they get in there.

Just some thoughts from our own experience. Stick with it, they are absolutely worth it in the long run!

I don't have any advice, but had to say Welcome! And you are crazy! LOL! One puppy at a time is enough for me. As soon as I read 3 puppies, I thought of Pam, LOL!

I've had 4 puppies at one time & yes it was a challenge but I enjoyed every minute of it. I'm just a dog person. :birthday_toast: Hang in there with those puppies. I promise you it will get better. I have a Lhasa named Miracle who was a cry baby. He was fine in his crate as long as I was in the room with him. He would go to sleep but as soon as I left the room he would wake up and fuss. I have to admit though when he was younger I slept in the kitchen where his crate was to keep him happy. In the night I would try and sneak to go to the bathroom & he would wake up and cry & I would have to get him out of his crate and take him to the bathroom with me. :welcomeani: He did improve, I think around 11 months he was fine. Remember that the pups are new to your family and they need time to adjust. If you haven't already, please post pics I would love to see your little ones.

Edited by mel

Oh goodness.... :birthday_toast: Three puppies? *shakes head* Wowie, girlfriend, lol. *hugs*(Cause you need one, lol).

Well I don't know if you got a chance to check out the panic/dribbling thread like suggested.. but if you did, you might have noticed that that is my thread, and I can definitely relate, and feel your pain. I don't have three little boogers.. I mean.. darlings.. :welcomeani: But sometimes, on "problem child" can be enough, eh? lol.

I think that everyone here is better experienced in offering advice on matters like this one, but I wanted to come in and offer some moral support, if nothing else, and echo the demand, (I mean encouragement) to share some pictures of your trio, because they sound absolutely adorable.

Welcome to Chatter!! :gathering: