Bluepig112

I'm not sure if this is the right thread for this question, so let me know if it's not.

I was wondering if anyone has experience with having two males. My boy is not neutered yet, he had a hernia and we were waiting to see if the hernia closed up before we neutered him (so we didn't have to pay for a surgery if it wasn't necessary. And it is closing!) Anyway, there is a male puppy I have my eye on. I would LOVE to have him, but I am worried about having two males in the house. My girls get along fine, but I think that is because there is a big difference in age. I don't know if it makes any difference, but I am the unequivocal pack leader in my house. My dogs are very well trained, and they know that I am the kind of the castle. :)

So what do you think? Would I be asking for trouble getting another male? Would it make any difference if I had them neutered? I think my breeder had more than one male, but I'm not sure. How could she have had two unaltered males in the same house (they weren't kenneled)?

TYIA

I have two males, and they are my (dare I say it??) favorites. They do fine together. However both are neutered, as any male should be if not being shown to championship status and then used for breeding.

I have to say I have had 2 male households and 2 female households, and the 2 males were a heck of a lot easier than the 2 females, they flat out wanted the other to die, the males lived together with no problems. Granted until the Tzu I have mostly dealt with same sex aggressive breeds (shiba inu and chow chows) so things may work differently with Tzus.

We have a couple of sayings in the dog world:

Boys are sweeter, girls are smarter.

There's a REASON they're called bitches.

When any trouble is started in my house, it's the girls that start it. They bicker amongst themselves and if they get bored they start up with the boys. The boys get along with everyone and as a bonus they are much quieter than the girls.

I love my boys. If it wasn't necessary to have a bitch to breed a litter I would never have anything but boys in my house again. Get your second boy - you won't be sorry!

Bluepig112

"Boys are sweeter, girls are smarter.

There's a REASON they're called bitches."

LOL! That is hilarious.

I have it so good right now with everyone getting along that I'm nervous to mess things up. I seriously would have 100 shih tzus if I could. :)

Now that I think about it, my mom's girl is mean and rotten, but her boy is so sweet. It never occurred to me that it may be due to gender.

Claudiabehr

Both my girls are the sweetest, most loving little dogs anyone could imagine. Just not with each other. I regret I didnt hold out for a male in #2 position but love them both so much I just do a lot of refereeing. I'm planning on a third who will be male and that he will modify some of Panda's rivalry.

Carolina Girl

Love, love, love my boys!!!! I will never have another female! My boys are so sweet and have such great personalities. My girl can be sweet when she wants to, she can also be a big B! The boys get along great. We have never had a problem between them. One is 14 months old and the other is 2 1/2 years.

Chloe's Mama

My parents had 3 boxers, a male and 2 females. He was way more laid back than the girls. He was years older and unaltered. The girls came in as puppies and were eventually spayed due to not wanting to pass hereditary issues to puppies. The girls could be aggressive.

I had 2 cats, a male and female. The male was laid back. The female was not so. They would fight over my attention.

Chloe, Molly and Jet get along pretty well. Maybe cause they don't actually live together. They do have problems sharing toys and bones, I think Molly being the more aggressive abt it. Jet just lets Molly and Chloe take it from her. She's not a fighter. Chloe really doesn't know any better. She just takes it, if she can get away w/ it.

As I've said before, I would love a male puppy. Just don't know how the girls would take it. Plus, I have enough going on w/ Chloe and my male cats.