Issues with Going Potty Outside..

aliberrii

Sweetly is potty-trained, and never has accidents unless she has been left at home and not been able to go outside. She pees when we go outside.. a LOT! I already know she has a marking problem (I have to put diapers on her when we visit people because she will mark as soon as she gets in their house.. Not my original question, but anyone have some ideas for this as well?) so most of the time when we go out, she will pee about 15+ times even when she doesn't have to, just to try to mark over other dogs' spots.

The problem is when it comes to getting her to go poo. Sometimes she will go in about 5 minutes, other times I have walked around 45 minutes with her and she doesn't go at all. I usually take her out 15 minutes after she eats, and then an hour after. She will sniff around and do her "squat-waddle" like she has to poo, but its like she can't find the right spot. It is a little frustrating for me because sometimes I have to be somewhere and need her to go before I leave.. if she doesn't, I come home to a nice dog-poo on the floor.. lol. I don't know what else to do, she doesn't like to be outside much anyway and wants in as soon as she has finished her business so I know the problem isn't that she doesn't get enough outside time. She doesn't let me know when she needs to go out, unless I ask if she needs to and then she goes crazy lol. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Claudiabehr

Ali, you might try this: start telling Sweetly to "go poop" (or whatever you call it) when you see her getting ready to, then reward her with the best kind of treat, maybe chicken, and lots of rewards of good girl. After not too long, she'll associate pooping with the treat and try to get the treat sooner.

aliberrii

Thank you, that's a good idea! I'm going to try this when I take her out today. I have been saying 'go potty' but she usually only pees when I say it. I hope the treat will work, she is a little piggy and loves food so this may be the way to go. Thank you again Claudia!

Carolina Girl

We say "business" for pee and "big business" for poop. They will now poop and pee on comand. After she does her poop say "good (whatever phrase you use)". And also, like Claudia said, good treats AS SOON AS she does it. She'll catch on. As far as marking goes, I don't really have much advice there. Daisy does this too, but will only do it outside.

mileysmom

I give miley the ultimatum but it only works if your pups hate being outside.

i'll tell her "wanna go inside?" and she'll give me the *Please??* look and i'll just say "Go potty then" and she'll finish.