new puppy and crate!

meggaloo87

Hey everyone-

im NEW to this forum. My fiance Matt and I decided to get a Shih Tzu puppy for our engagement. We currently have two cats and a ferret. We LOVE LOVE LOVE our animals, and treat them like the world. So we decided to add a puppy to our "zoo" lol. We bought 10 week old Wrigley from a breeder, and he is a great dog!!!!!! We have very little complaints considering he is a baby and still learning! He is very submissive which is great in our cat dominated home. However there are a few things we need help with as first time shih tzu puppy owners! He sleeps through the night (mostly) and hasnt once made an accident in his crate. we are crate training him for his safety and the safety for our other pets. My fiance is a teacher and I have a full time job, so we need to crate him for a few hours during the day. SO, the crate will be good for that. He is good in the crate, and he listens VERY well. I cannot complain. He is a BABY ;). However, can anyone PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE give me hints and help with crate training my little fluff, and any tips on how to keep the whimpering down when we are sleeping or gone (so our neighbors dont kill us!! LOL)

He LOVES cat poop, we have the bitter works and every time we takes a piece of poop out, we try and spray it to teach him he should like or eat cat poop. Do you think this will work? Any suggestions?

Also, he chews alot, we are using bitter works and it seems to be working.

PLEASE give me ANY SUGGESTIONS. I am first time puppy owner and do not wanna mess this little bundle of happy joy up!

THANKS in advance for all your help and support!!!! :)

JasperandAkira'smom

Make sure he has some safe toys to chew on while you are gone. I have made it impossible for my two to get any cat poop with blocking off the litter box with baby gates so the cats just jump it. I have not had such luck with the horse poop LOL....There is something you can give your cats to make the poop taste different so the dogs won't eat it but I have not tried it. As for the whimpering that will stop with time, just don't go and let him out when he is doing it or he will keep doing it to get out. :) to the group and I am sure you will get more helpful suggestions from others on here.

I haven't met a single dog that can resist a kitty snickers, as we call them in the salon. Everything I've read says it won't hurt them, but I just put the litter box where the dogs can't reach it. Like Jasper and Akira's mom, I've curbed eating of cat's poop but rabbits, deer, anything that walks in the yard, his own even is another story :rolleyes:

Welcome! Gizmo sure is a cutie. Sounds like you're off to a great start. Cat poop seems to be quite the treat here too, along with cow and horse and whatever poop they can find. Antlers are great for chewing. They last forever.

meggaloo87

Thanks everyone! I actually changed his name :) to Wrigley, seemed more fitting for my furry. Anymore suggestions on baby puppy training/raising. He is very submissive which is great bc my cats rule the house lol. So he is at a very impressionable age, so now is the time for us to teach him everything!!! :)