Jake eats EVERYTHING!

Casey Luria

Jake is relatively new to me, two yrs old and has to put everything he spots on the floor his mouth and eats it. I dropped a pill this morning and had to beat him to it. He eats the parrot pellets. Parrots tend to feed all the bottom feeders by dropping about half of what they eat. Today he was feeling crummy, he diahrrea and vomited in the morning and would not eat anything. Of course he doesn't make the connection between all the stuff he has been getting into his system. How do I manage this and still use positive reinforcement. I would have to reward him for not doing something and he always does it. Some day he will eat something that is really bad for him. I already lost a dog who. like Jake, ate anything and everything. Funny, when it comes to his own food he is very picky. Any body else had to solve this problem with their own dog. I did try bitter apple and he did not eat the stuff with bitter apple but anything new that was on the floor was fair game. I can't watch him every min.

Casey

JasperandAkira'smom

Casey, my two are the same way! I have to keep everything up off the floor or they will have it. I have to say a very stern NO and tell them sternly LEAVE IT so I can pick it up...sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. Good luck!

same here, hunter's mouth is like some sort of black hole that sucks everything on the floor straight to it. i've just gotten used to making sure that stuff he can fit in his mouth isn't left on teh floor.

mr.coffee

We worked long and hard on Drop It/Leave It commands with treats and clicker - that was early on when battling the poop eating. The commands carried over to inside behavior, and eventually formed habits. Harley still occasionally goes after stuff or eats what he finds, but generally is pretty good about not just picking up whatever.

-m

Same here! Shredder likes to eat anything and everything.... drives me nuts sometimes especially when he goes out to the backyard he finds things I don't even want to look at ! He also will get sick once in awhile and I'm sure it has to do with something he ate.... We get squirrels, possums, cats and sometimes racoons walking on our fence, I'm sure he has gotten some of their "droppings" also!

Laura&Lucky

Lucky does that too, he picks over the stuff the bird has thrown out of her bowl. He also likes to shred the plastic squeakers from his stuffy toys...so we have to beat him to those.

Sounds like clicker training and the 'leave it' command may help. It teaches them to pay attention to you and they get a good reward for not touching. :congrats:

FairyTail Josette

Josey will eat anything off the floor or ground. But, go figure....never wants to eat her dog food. Josey even ate a sand bur at the lake! The thorns of the bur were embedded underneath her tongue. She was very ill. It took us a little while to figure it out, as, we didn't see it when doing a mouth exam. Until, the vet finally put her under and discovered it! I keep my floors spotless and try to watch her like a hawk outdoors, now. I think it's a very common trait of the breed. Can you put an x pen or some type of gate around where your parrot eats, so, Jake can't get access to it?

Jake is a cutie! :congrats:

TillyMaeTinkles

Tilly is a bottomless pit. If it's on the floor, it will soon be in her mouth. I have two 7 year old twin brothers so I've found Spiderman without an arm....plastic army men without heads....all thanks to Tilly. Last night while I was at my boyfriend's house we found her trying to eat tiny bits of plastic from the models we had been cutting out. And of course she's real sneaky about it. She creeps along quietly....and all of a sudden you hear that mouth smacking. We did puppy training when we were like 4-5 months old and we learned Take it/Leave it. It's worked, but only if I see her do it.

JasperandAkira'smom

Oh how alful Suzi...that would just scare the poopy out of me. When my husband and I take our two for walks he calls them little hoovers LOL!

mr.coffee

Tilly is a bottomless pit...<snip>...We did puppy training when we were like 4-5 months old and we learned Take it/Leave it. It's worked, but only if I see her do it.

With Harley, it started off a Sisyphean task. Over time, he began to respond to the command. As the command became routine, he began to learn that he shouldn't just go inhaling whatever he finds, and now at two and a half years old, I can pretty well trust him. It takes time, vigilance and persistence - don't give up.

I remember Josey's sand burr, we were all so worried about her and how quickly the little ones can go from bad to worse!

-m

Miley eats a lot of things, most of them pass with no problems. Its nothing for us to find holes in towels , underwear, socks, jeans... .

She just doesnt get the hint.

All of which are "Up" out of the way, or in a basket/hamper. which she somehow finds a way to get to.

Well, I'm glad I'm not the only one with a hoover for a dog! When Chewie was a puppy, he ate some little metal twist tie or something. I would have never known until I saw it in his poop!!! Ever since then, I have been super careful about what is left on the floor.

Can you put an x pen or some type of gate around where your parrot eats, so, Jake can't get access to it?

This is a VERY good idea! I spent so many years with an x-pen around the Christmas Tree that I'd go to (non-doggy) friends' homes and puzzle, "Your tree is beautiful, but something's not quite right...I don't know...OH!!! Where's your x-pen????" Yes, seriously.

To me, a Christmas tree without an x-pen is like a movie without Johnny Depp...unthinkable! (Joke.) Those pens ARE lifesavers in a lot of instances, though. I will never be without one!

FairyTail Josette

This is a VERY good idea! I spent so many years with an x-pen around the Christmas Tree that I'd go to (non-doggy) friends' homes and puzzle, "Your tree is beautiful, but something's not quite right...I don't know...OH!!! Where's your x-pen????" Yes, seriously.

To me, a Christmas tree without an x-pen is like a movie without Johnny Depp...unthinkable! (Joke.) Those pens ARE lifesavers in a lot of instances, though. I will never be without one!

Haha! My friend's all have the x pens around their Christmas trees, too. It's just not complete without it. :) Great invention! Josey's breeder takes hers along when they camp in the mountains. So many uses. I wish I would have invented it. lol