Introducing a new puppy

Hello all, I just joined a couple weeks ago but have just recently had some time to log in (lots of work!!!). I have a 10 month old male named Chewie, and later this week or next week I will be adding a new 8 week old female to my family. Chewie is extremely loving, friendly, and trusting towards all; people and dogs alike. I am sure he will accept her, but I've never introduced two dogs together. Chewie is my first dog. He is still a puppy himself so I thought that might make it easier.

I guess I'm just looking for some words of reassurance!

• Like 1
loewenthal.anna

Introductions should be done in a neutral place, best bet is to bring chewie with you to the breeder/ airport and let them meet before you even get into "his" car. You want it to feel to him like he's bringing a friend over, NOT like a stranger is invading his space!

She's younger and will be submissive to him at first by default but don't be alarmed (or step in!) If and when they quibble. Dogs will scuffle to figure out where they stand but unless it get's serious (my definition is blood, unrelenting tackleing, or true panic out of the losing party) you are wise to let them get it out. Dogs are very forgiving and understand this behavior because it's natural for them. . . Where as, your running to the little one's aid will both prevent her from asserting herself, and make chewie horribly jealous and resentful.

Our guys STILL scuffle occassionally, and it's never come to our needing to step in on anyone's behalf.

I would also do 2 beds, 2 bowls, 2 water bottles, 2 crates until they figure each other out and make sure you give chewie love first to reaffirm for him that he's still your baby :)

Shihbtzu love other shih tzu so I'm sure you'll be fine :) they'll be snuggling and cleaning each other before you know it!

Definitely getting another crate, and I feed Chewie in his crate anyway so I've already set that routine. I will just feed her in her crate too. I don't actually have water bottles for them as of yet, I just have a gravity waterer with a filter in it. He gets a wet chin but I dry it for him LOL. I think my husband is actually going to go pick her up while I'm at work. I'll just tell him to bring Chewie with him. Thanks for responding, I'm just really nervous and excited. Adding a second dog is a big decision for me, especially such a young one.