Izzy which is only 15 weeks old is growling at everything lately. I can not remember my other two doing this, ie. when she is playing with her toys and if the others get close to her she starts her growling. In the vets office a couple of days ago, two boxers came in rather rowdy and there she goes, thinking she is a 90 lb dog and starts growling at them. But, I was shocked today when I took her outside. Every time she goes potty outside I do the praise thing, telling her she is a good girl and always picking her up before opening the door to let her in to give her tons of kisses !! Well, today I go to give her kisses and she started growling.....with her top lip up a little showing her baby teeth..................I was in shock !!!! Is this growling thing a normal phase for this age ? Has anyone had this problem ?

Laura&Lucky

When Lucky was a puppy and I was training him for grooming I would give him a chewy. Apparently he liked them quite a bit because when I would try to take it from him he would growl - at 10 or 11 weeks old. I would just tell him "no" and continue to take the chewy away. After a minute I would give it back. We did this process a few times before he figured out "I don't growl at momma, and if I'm good I'll get a yummy treat."

Maggie, our newest puppy, growls at the other dogs when she's eating and they go sniffing around her, or when they're trying to take a toy she's playing with. She doesn't growl at people, just the other dogs. They're still trying to figure out the pecking order.

My dogs will growl if they are around other dogs who are behaving badly or have "bad energy." It's just their warning I guess; but they quit when I tell them to knock it off.

I think it is unusual for such a young puppy to be baring teeth and growling AT YOU. But they do go through different stages at different ages. I would say don't let her intimidate and control you, or you will have a problem dog on your hands.

I hope someone else can provide more helpful answers. This is just my opinion and experience with tzu puppies so far. Good Luck!

JasperandAkira'smom

I did not have this issue with my two...infact they do not growl much but they do bark alot.

Give a stern NO. Let her know at an early age that its NOT okay.

I believe that it was about the same age as your pup that my girl Lula started her growling as well. As the weeks progressed she learned she can growl and bark (which we thought was cute at first). Over time the growling had subsided with her, and I'd say that it was about 5-6 months old when she stopped it. Of course we'd have to tell her 'no' because she used to do it with her toys as well. I know that socializing them with other dogs is important too, so if there are other little dogs to interact her with then maybe have her visit? The only dogs my little dog had to socialize with were two huge 100+ lb labs, she used to jump all over them while they would be lying down on the floor. It is however strange that she'd growl at you when you picked her up that one morning? Could very well be a dominance thing, where she's trying to be the boss?

I would speak with a trainer. Growling is a warning sign. If you take that "sign" away (I was told by a behaviorist) you could end up with a dog who bites with no warming growl. The reason why she is baring her teeth at you and growling needs to be addressed, and quickly.

• 1 month later...

Hi

Chloe is 11 weeks and has tried that growing thing at me a couple of times mostly when I picked her up and she was busy doing somthing else, so a very firm NO and she still did it so i did a light submission hold on her next to my chest, for 5 min and she threw her tantrum, I just kept talking to her sweetly and when she calmed down she was all kisses with me, I think they want to be their own boss sometimes and get carried away. They need gentle reminders of who is the top dog... hope that helps.

Staria