Need help on how to pee pad train my 12 week old puppy!

MomofBelle

We just picked up our puppy, Belle, on Monday night and because I run an in home daycare, I NEED to have her trained on pee pads during the day. My vet said I can train her for both. At night I can put her on the pad and she will go because she has to go so bad, but after that she just lays on the pad or plays with it. I call it the "potty" and really praise her and give her a treat when she does go. Any other advice? I've never owned a pet before!

JasperandAkira'smom

Mine are trained to go outside when we are home and they go on a piece laminate that lays in the door way to outside when we are not there.

It may be the type of pad you are using. My Roxy is also 12 weeks. I've had her since she was 7 weeks old and started her on pads because it was cold in NJ and I also work during the day and thought she was too young to hold her urine all day.

I was using Purina potty pads and she was doing great. I ran out and am unable to find them anywhere so I used a cheap pad that my mother brought for me. Roxy used the pad but them started playing with it (yuck!) and had it all in a hump when I came home.

The cheap pads that grandma bought for her were 'fluffy' sort of ... the Purina pads were very flat. I'm still searching for a replacement for my Purina pads.

I also would put her on the pads when she was younger and just keep saying go potty, go potty. She got the hand of it very fast and now if I'm not watching her when she is loose in the house, will either run over and use the pad or occassionally, she'll bark by the door to go outside.

Good luck!