Shredder has been "house broken" for over a year now... today I noticed he pee'd on the wall and carpet at the end of our hallway. It looked like he was "marking" his spot. He has never done this before other than on our walks. Why on earth would he start doing this now???? He was a little brat this morning because I wouldn't share my breakfast with him and neither would my husband. His food is in his bowl and he turns his nose up to it in the mornings but will eat in the afternoon. My husband says he is just being vindictive and wanted to get back at us. There was no way I could punish him as I didn't see him do it. It's cleaned up now but I sure hope he doesn't start making this a habit! :blush:

Oh my gosh, I just thought of something... A neighbor stopped by with her dog to say hi, we sometimes meet up and go on walks. Shredder was extra excited seeing the other dog. I wonder if he thought he needed to mark his spot because of that dog being on "his" property?????? I need the "dog whisperer!" ha ...

Very perceptive, Debbie. That is EXACTLY the reason he suddenly felt the need to mark.

mama2riley

Is he neutered? I was just wondering because we're getting a puppy in the near future and I'm sure hoping my neutered dog doesn't start to mark once he arrives...

luvmybabies

I go thru this every time I get another puppy and as all but Anabelle were boys I think they feel the need to mark to make sure the new comer knows what is what! They do seem better with a girl this time but I use belly bands on them in the living room till I can trust them again. We will be letting them outside to potty when my border goes home. As she (border) is such an escape artist I have to tether her for her bathroom break and then back into the house. My poor Golden is missing staying on the deck with the little ones but I can't take the chance that the Shepherd will escape again and I'm being super careful about letting my little ones mix with her, especially Anabelle.

BTW Connor was 7 mo. when neutered, Majic and Brady were done right after I got them at a year old and Benji was about 18 mo. So it doesn't seem as if the neutering at any age is working here!

Edited by luvmybabies
mama2riley

oh noooo :( I'm not even going to mention this to my husband or he won't agree to the new puppy. We were planning on getting a male puppy since I prefer their temperament (generally speaking).

Is there less of a chance he'll mark if we get a female? How long does the marking last after you get a new puppy?

Riley was neutered at 5 mos and he'll be almost 2 when we get the puppy. He LOVES other dogs and never acts territorial when one comes in our yard etc. He just wants to play. My neighbor has a Maltese puppy.... maybe I'll see if they could let me 'borrow' her and bring her in our house and see what he does....

My 12 year old son thinks he's the dog whisperer ... maybe I can send him your way for a couple of weeks! LOL

He is always telling me how to handle our 13 week puppy. He must have been watching Cesar ... :(

My 12 year old son thinks he's the dog whisperer ... maybe I can send him your way for a couple of weeks! LOL

He is always telling me how to handle our 13 week puppy. He must have been watching Cesar ... :(

Yes!! send him over!! :) .. Tell him about my problem, maybe he has a suggestion for me ... I'm willing to try anything to understand it and prevent it from becoming a bigger problem... I'm hoping this is just a one time thing.