Ack! Sam has started peeing at other people's houses!

I Love Sam

I like to take Sam with me whenever I visit my family and he has always done really well when visiting until recently. Two weeks ago, he peed on my grandparent's and then my father's carpets on the same day. My grandparent's have no pets and he has been there several times without incident. My dad and his wife have a Pom that is Sam's best buddy. He hasn't peed on their floor since he's been housebroken. He doesn't mark inside at home at all.

Last night, I took him to a friends house and he peed on the the floor there. Now, my friend does have a Shih Tzu that has a rather significant problem with marking in the house.

Sam had just been outside and done both #1 and #2. I hadn't let him out of my sight for the first hour we were there because he kept sniffing my friend's dog's favorite "spots." Once he went out, my friend and I got to talking and I stopped paying as close attention for a minute. Sam went into another room. I noticed he had left me and went to find him and caught him peeing on her living room rug!

Why on earth has he started to do this now? Any ideas on how I get him to not do it?

FuzzyPants

I find dogs don't generalize well. I had to retrain Cassy just because I moved her piddle pad from one room to another. She wanted to go in the old spot even though the pad wasn't there so I had to close the door and click and treat her when she went on the pad in the new spot. I've heard of people having to retrain their dogs every time they move to a different house. So when you travel you might want to bring a clicker & treats along and do some retraining.

JasperandAkira'smom

I can understand Sam marking the area where the other dog did at your friends house, because my two will do this at their brothers house because Max has marked all over his house. Do you think that he might have gotten overly excited at the other homes? Did he go to the bathroom before he went into their homes?

I Love Sam

Thanks cor the responses! He did not go outside before we went in at the other two places and he did it within minutes of being there. It was rainy that day and he hates the rain i didn"t even give him a chance outside before we went in. I reaaly hope this does not become a habit.

JasperandAkira'smom

Patty, try to make sure they go right before they go into the house. This has become an automatic for us and has helped alot.

JasperandAkira'smom

I don't take mine anywhere if it is raining. LOL