Desi Terrified of My Husband!

georgiapeach

We adopted Desi (a nearly 1 year old Shih-tsu) last weekend (he was rescued from a breeder who's business went under) and he does great with me. However, he's absolutely terrified of my husband. I've put him on the couch between us (DH ignoring him), and Desi will start panting b/c he gets so nervous and moves away.

But...my husband has to take the dog outside in the afternoon (he's crated during the day), b/c he gets home before I do. The second day, Desi attacked him when he tried to take him out of the crate (I'm sure it's b/c he felt threatened), snarling, biting, etc. That has stopped, but now he runs from him (in the house and outside) and NOTHING can make him come back. Unfortunately, DH had to corner him in the laundry room a couple of days ago to catch him (to crate him when he had to go back out), whereupon Desi expressed his anal glands all over his shirt. Yesterday, Desi had to be caught in our bedroom closet (again, to be crated when DH had to go back out), whereupon he urinated on the carpet b/c he was so scared.

I know the fleeing can be stopped by simply keeping Desi in his crate when DH is home alone with him, and having my husband keep him on a leash whenever he has to take him out, but we hate to have to crate him so much. Is this what we're going to have to do for awhile?

DH is trying to befriend this dog, but it seems he goes 1/2 step forward, then 2 steps backwards. DH has tried sitting next to him and talking softly; not touching him. The dog will NOT take any type of treat from him, not even hotdog tidbits, which Desi loves. DH is quickly losing patience and grumbled that he wonders if we should have gotten him. Help!

JasperandAkira'smom

I have a friend and her baby is like this with everyone that is not in her family. I am going over there at times and just sitting around and letting him come up to me. I am also putting treats on the ground closer and closer to me. Just started this but he seems to be doing better around me so far.

Luna

It's going to take time...maybe a LOT of time (like...months and months) for Desi to learn that your husband is not a threat to him. It sounds as if he was abused in the past by a man and now paints all men with the same brush as someone to be feared. I would strongly suggest you locate a canine behaviorist to work with you, your husband and Desi so everyone understands the basis of Desi's fear(s) and how to best get him over them.