Problem With Pooping In The House....

oOShih Tzu LoveOo

For the past few weeks Daisy has not wanted to poop outside, she will only do it in the house & in one certain spot. I just came in from sitting outside with her for an hour and a half & she would not "go". She has no problem with peeing outside. Earlier today she did poop outside & I gave her a TON of praise, but I know I'm going to wake up with poop in the floor in the morning. She sleeps in bed with me, I really don't want to crate her (but I did crate train her as a puppy) but if that's what I have to do then I will. I don't know what to do; thankfully I don't have carpet (only a few area rugs).

Edited by oOShih Tzu LoveOo
FuzzyPants

What is it with these Shih Tzu and potty training. Mine will go outside but still uses the piddle pad in the bathroom when indoors. Every now and again she goes beside it instead of on it though. Luckily the bathroom is tiled so it's no problem to clean up. But I can't wait until I live in a ground floor apartment or a house with a fenced in backyard so I can train her to go outside only but from what I hear that isn't going to be easy either.

• 3 months later...

I'm bumping this up because lately, Bosco has been doing the same thing. First of all he won't eat in the morning before hubby goes to work and takes him out to do his business. We were told to take him out 15-20 min after eating. The problem is he won't eat before he has to go out. So hubby takes him out and all he does is pee. At first hubby left his food out so Bosco was eatting at will and viola, a present in the living room when son-in-law or hubby got home. So I told him to take the food up if he didn't eat and if he did eat after 15 min. remove the bowl. Well he did remove the food and he still pooped in the living room (reminder to get enzyme shampoo for the rugs). I usually take him out for a walk when I get home at around 7 pm and sometimes he poops on a walk (trying to train him to the back yard, sigh). I'm almost at my wits end on what to do. I need this boy to eat and poop on demand LOL

I have been having the same issue. It's kind of weird. She is only 4 months old, so maybe it's a puppy thing. She is pretty decent about going outside as well, but I don't know if the snow has changed that. She still goes pee outside, but lately she's been pooing inside, and always relatively in the same spot.

Yesterday I took her out first thing in the morning and she peed and pooed. Then we came back in and I was fantasizing about calling in sick to work and having some tea and then she took off to the living room and I was welcomed by a pile of poo! What the heck? She JUST went!!!

Today I took my eyes off her for a few mins and again, went to poo in the living room, but different spot.

She is so smart with some things, but it's frustrating at the same time. When we go outside, I will tell her "go pee, go pee pee" and she is decent and when we say "go poo go poo poo" she will sniff around and if she has to go, sometimes she does.

Good thing she is cute!

I have always house-trained by using the "crate and ex-pen" method. Puppy is in the crate. When it is time to come out of the crate, puppy is put in an exercise pen and doesn't get out until he/she "performs" both bodily functions. Puppy eats. Puppy goes back in the ex-pen. Repeat. Once everything is done, puppy gets playtime with a human always RIGHT THERE! If puppy starts circling/sniffing, puppy goes back to ex-pen. Then puppy goes back in crate until the next scheduled time out.

This generally will guarantee a fully-trained puppy within a few weeks. We have run into some issues with this in recent times when we've had more than one puppy at a time in the house. And trying to house-train an entire litter is nothing but an exercise in frustration! However, for a single dog it works well. You simply have to be resolute-enough to stick with the schedule until the mission is accomplished. It's hard to listen to a puppy yelling at you to come out of the crate, but necessary to train the pup.

JMHO.

Pam, I'm so glad you chimed in. I'm about to either order or find an ex-pen today. Bosco found a new spot this week when he was left alone, so in the pen he goes. I just need to find one that he can't jump over. Though he is only about 1 1/2 feet tall, I've seen him jump up to try to get something from an adult visitor and it looked kind of high. I don't want to use a crate if I don't have to.

Renee, there is a big difference between vertical leap and jumping ability. My Kelly (and her half sister Juno [bred/owned by Paula] AND her daughter Mona) have HUGE vertical leaps, to the point that my two can actually leap into your arms. They cannot, however, jump OVER things and out of pens. My Corbin doesn't do vertical, but he can go over a 3'-high dog gate from a stand-still in a heartbeat (which explains why we now have a 4' dog gate!). Climbers are an entirely different story, but "most" Shih Tzu aren't climbers. My guess is that Bosco won't jump out of an ex-pen, but if you are worried about that you either need one with a top or one that's at least 4' high.

Renee, there is a big difference between vertical leap and jumping ability. My Kelly (and her half sister Juno [bred/owned by Paula] AND her daughter Mona) have HUGE vertical leaps, to the point that my two can actually leap into your arms. They cannot, however, jump OVER things and out of pens. My Corbin doesn't do vertical, but he can go over a 3'-high dog gate from a stand-still in a heartbeat (which explains why we now have a 4' dog gate!). Climbers are an entirely different story, but "most" Shih Tzu aren't climbers. My guess is that Bosco won't jump out of an ex-pen, but if you are worried about that you either need one with a top or one that's at least 4' high.

Ahhh. I will let you know after the pen comes in. We're getting the Iris 4 panel pen for him.

• 8 months later...
Rteddy

We are having the same problem with Zeus. he is 8 Months old. He does not like to poo outside without sitting out there for EVER, and even then he often still doesnt. Peeing he is great about either outside or on the pee pads, but not pooing. We have tried to crate train him when we first got him, but that didn't work out. no matter what we did he cried and cried all night and no one was getting any sleep. Now we have all wood floors and I do have doggie gate so I can keep him contained, but he still will only go poo on the potty pads once in a great while no matter how much I praise him, and goes outside even less. At least he always pees in the right place. My Problem however is if we dont keep him contained to the kitchen, which I hate doing all the time, he will occasionally poop on our coach. THIS is not acceptable and I have not figured out how to stop it yet. Order removers and pet block dont do any good for the issue.

Edited by Rteddy
Pudgy_Bailey

I'm thinking there's been a memo passed around all the Shih Tzus in the world and somehow, we humans missed this memo. My two tzus are doing the same thing too...out of the blue :(

Bailey i can understand, since she is a puppy after all. But she chose her new spot to be right beside my closet :( Sighs. Back to training....

Boyboy's been refusing to pee and poop on the pee pads like he used to. I'm thinking it's cause there is Bailey's smell on it. But we just got a new pee tray for her. AND we change pads immediately after they are soiled..

Ok at least we got Boyboy past his incessant marking phase....and Bailey out of her I-must-climb-over-the-pen-to-the-other-side phase...that I am grateful for :)

Edited by Pudgy_Bailey
Marlen

Hm, Misha is now 9 months old and we don't have any issues with his pee/poop he was great from the beginning. He's never soiled the house, only 3-4 times till we figured out that he didn't like the potty training spray that we used. If Zeus chooses that certain spot and you have a cover on the couch, remove it and put a new one. If you don't you might want to cover the couch. In any case, train him again by praising him and giving him treats. If my two do something bad I also 'ground' them by taking them to a room and closing the door for 5 minutes. For me that works since they understand they did something bad and they're not allowed to be with us (believ me it's not as cruel as it sounds). Hm, also, are you the one that invites him on the couch or does he do it on his own? It might also be a territorial behavior.

I don't know if I'm lucky or what. I expected these little guys to be the worst when it comes to potty training and such but they're the best dogs I've ever had. Even Jolie doesn't have accidents anymore and she uses the same toilet/newspaper with Misha, of course we change it once they eliminate on it. I can only say that accidents happen even with fully grown and trained dogs that's why training them must be a daily exercice, even praising them for peeing/pooping on the pee pad.

Edited by Marlen