Housebraking a reluctant rescue

shewhobabbles

I adopted Percy 2 weeks ago from a local rescue, he was pulled from a shelter and thus little is known about his past, but his estimated age is 2 years old. He is very calm, well socialized, and is picking up on a lot of things like walking on a leash quickly, however I seem to be unable to make headway with housebreaking. The first week he ate sparingly (we bought the same food he had been eating at the rescue) and went five days without pooping. He seems very reluctant to do business outside (though he is fond of walks), especially when it is wet or raining. I've been crating him from the get-go and he loves it, but when I left for an hour to do an errand (I took him out beforehand and gave him a Kong) he peed in his crate, which he has never done overnight. I think that might be more of a separation anxiety issue, which is another problem he has. I take him out regularly but he will go two or three days without doing anything, only to mess if he is left alone uncrated for any amount of time (which is rare) or if I am preoccupied (our kitchen where he is confined is rather large so there is a corner that he likes). He has pooped outside a total of three times, which he has been praised lavishly for. I put pumpkin in his food for several days but my mom is getting worried about his infrequent bowel movements. This is my first experience with a rescue and toy breed, any suggestions would be most appreciated!

Edited by shewhobabbles

If he is otherwise healthy this is probably some sort of emotional thing for Percy You've not had him long and getting him fully housebroken make take a few months. Be patient.

mom2Gizmo

Everything your doing sounds great. Just keep doing that and he will catch on. I think the pumpking is a good idea as well.

Sunlite

It will take time... You are re-training which is like making him learn all he never did...plus unleraning what he was accoustumed to...

Patience & Love..best wishes! :)

shewhobabbles

Thank you for your replies everyone. Percy had a couple of sudden accidents over the weekend that I felt out of his control, turns out he has crystals in his urine. The vet prescribed 3 weeks of antibiotics. I'm supposed to bring in a urine sample after finishing them and if the infection has not cleared it is probably bladder stones, which could require a very expensive surgery that I honestly don't know if I can afford (I'm a college student). I can go to the health forum if needed but does anyone have experience with bladder stones, especially with treating them without surgery? I read cranberry extract was a good thing to try. My vet said Shih Tzu are particularly prone to them.

Edited by shewhobabbles