Neutering to prevent marking

Dexter is 10 months old and he's still not neutered. I'm not going to breed him but I wonder if it's absolutely necessary to have him neutered to prevent him from marking in the house. He does mark outside when he smells where the neighbors dogs have gone. Does that mean he won't do it in the house? Or maybe he's just not old enough. I don't let him run loose outside without supervision, and so I don't know if neutering is a necessity. What do people who breed their males do to prevent marking?

My concern for neutering him is I'm afraid of it hurting him. And I know he will be very upset to be away from me in a strange place. And I can't explain to him that I will be back to get him. So please let me know about your experiences with neutering/spaying your dogs.

Edited by Dexie
mom2Gizmo

Please, please, please have him neutered. There are so many homeless dogs in the world. Please set a good example and neuter your dog. You may always be outdoors with him, but accidents do happen.

That being said, my male tzu is a indoor marker and I do have to keep an eye on him and manage it. He was neutered at 7 months of age. He began marking indoors at 14 months of age. So neutering does not always prevent it as you see. But it might help. It might also help with roaming behavior, aggression, many things.

Thanks. I've made him an appointment to be neutered. I guess I just need some reassurance that it won't traumatize him.