Outside potty training at an older age?

I have had Lukie for about 6 months now and when he came into my home it was evident that he never had any potty training. He is about 2 1/2 years old. I have wood and tile floors so the accidents were not something I stressed over too much. I don't crate him while I am at work but he is confined to a smaller room with potty pads. I have doggy doors that the dogs have access to when I am home. With lots of consistancy and patience he is starting to understand that all potty business is taken care of in the great outdoors. We do have the occasional accident but I just clean it up and move along. I never reprimand after the fact. If I catch him in the act I tell him "NO NO" and hurry him outside where he should have gone potty. Crating is a great tool for potty training if used in the right way. I do not believe in putting a dog in a crate for punishment. I don't think they understand that nor do I think it is effective. Their crate should be a good and safe place that they want to be. Praise for a job done well and in the right place is a better use of your energy. Patience and consistancy are the keys to success in potty training. Dogs are very eager to please the people they love....use that to your advantage :)

Lukie :)

DSCF4286.jpg

We have always crate-trained and it has always worked well for us (except for the Lowchen, but that's another story). No matter what method you choose, the most important thing is consistency. I think I did a post on our crate-training method some time back. If I can find it I'll bump it up for you.