Bosco's New Exercise Pen

I have taken your advice ladies and purchased an excercise pen for my furbaby. Though he has been a little better at using the pads when left alone, we have noticed a few items that found their way into his mouth so I think this will be best. Bosco will be 11 mos old this month so I anticipate training may be a bit challenging. Any and all advice is welcome. Here are some pics of Bosco's new crate/pen:

post-4167-0-22144500-1353129944_thumb.jp

post-4167-0-34650700-1353129975_thumb.jp

post-4167-0-11912700-1353130001_thumb.jp

post-4167-0-82710500-1353130014_thumb.jp

Mia-Bee-Uh

Awh! This makes me want to get a play pen of our own! Bosco is sooo cute in that last picture btw! :)

Thank you Ashley. This will be an interesting aventure with him. Thank you for the compliment. He needs a cut now to see his eyes.

luvmybabies

Looks like a very nice setup. Good luck in your training. I bet he will come to love his "pen" and retreat there when he's had enough of everything!

Great setup! Bosco's gonna love it.

Thank you for your complitments. I have to do a little tweeking to the pen because he moves it around when trying to get out. We are going to put a hook on the wall to keep it from moving. I'm also going to change his feeding bowl (that's the one he came with) to a ceramic or stainless steel and try to add a water bottle to the pen for drinking. My daughter saw this foldable dog house that will replace his bed and hopefully he'll use that to sleep in. I've been putting him in this weekend for an hour or two when I'm in the house and sometimes I go outside just to see what he does. I'm also thinking of getting a potty patch or a tray that holds the pad for his "bathroom". Any advice to help him transition to this will be helpful.

Where did you find your pen from? Do you have the link to it?

Mary I got the pen from PETCO.com. The store had it but at that time it was $50 cheaper online and the store manager said they do not honor the online price in the stores and that the online price is regularly cheaper than in the stores. It's by Precision Pet and it's their Soft Side Exercise Pen. It can be configured in different shapes including octogon.

Pam, so far he doesn't seem to like it when we leave the house. I've been feeding him in it to get him used to going in and out when we are home, but I can tell he tries to get out when a panel or two has been moved. I hope he will enjoy it and go in and out without too much fuss.

post-4167-0-44848100-1353417340_thumb.jp

Edited by GMA

He'll get used to it, Renee...just give him a little time. :)

Thank you Pam. I know you're right. Just an anxious parent here. We are going to upgrade our alarm system and add a camera in and outside the house and I will be able to check up on him now and then.

• 4 months later...

I have been looking at pens. How big is this one? Sorry if I missed it in the above post.

This one opens into different shapes. It's 36" high which turned out not to be high enough to keep Bosco in it. So I ended up getting a crate. I bought a tarp to try to attach to the top to keep him in but I haven't put it on yet.