Changing his name to Houdini

So you all know that bought Bosco an exercise pen instead of a crate to keep him from destroying the house when no one is home. I thought it was great to give him a place to play, eat, sleep and use the bathroom if needed. Well 2 days ago, we found out that little Bosco managed to jump high enough to get out of the pen. I had the pen configured in a square so I thought that was giving him a little running room. I reconfigued it to a narrower shape and then watched as he vertically jumped close enough to the wall to get his paws on the top, hang on and climbed up and over. I then put some of the dinning room chairs around the sides to add a little hieght to the wall but the little escape artist managed his way over them too.

So now, I'm thinking it is time for a crate. Though I hate to do it, I don't want him to hurt himself getting out of the pen or possibly putting something in his mouth that may cause illness or death.

Now Bosco will be 1 years old on Christmas day and he is a big Tzu. He was 18 lbs when he last went to the vet and he stands about 12-14 inches tall. He is about 16-18 inches long. What size cage should I get him? Ya'll know I really don't want to do this but I do love my Houdini furbaby enough to do right by him.

What type of crate are you thinking of?

Longest dimension should probably be around 24-26".

I was thinking that also. A co-worker who volunteer's at an animal shelter also suggested getting a tarp and strapping it down so he can't find an opening. I'll have to think about that idea.

luvmybabies

When we got Annie she was only 2 lbs. and so tiny. We put her in an exercise pen with all her stuff too. Within a couple of days she was hopping up on her little crate and then over the side of the pen. So I took her crate out and just put a bed in and my hubby used some more exercise pen panels to make a top for the pen. You just need to get some more of the snap things that snap the panels there. Or you could use those plastic tie things to hold it there. That's what we did to make a covering for the ramp off our deck for the dogs. A lot of places sell the extra panels....check online dog stores.

Thank you Joyce. We will try that first. I really don't want to feel like I didn't give the pen a good chance. We'll try a top and weights (to keep the pen from moving around). I'll keep ya updated lol