Before I got my puppy I did some research online and found the Puppy Apartment by Modern Puppies.com. I was looking for something that would be more humane than crate training. I crate trained my other two dogs and didn't really care for it. The thought of making them hold it all night bothered me. Ok, don't have a cow. It's not for everyone. I've heard all about how bad it is to teach a dog to "go" in the house. She goes in the house but in a special place. My breeder suggested that Poppy not go outside until she had had all her shots. I watched their videos and decided to give it a try. http://modernpuppies.com/ and on Youtube. My breeder uses the potty pads so my pup knew just where to "go". The crate has a bed on one side and a bathroom on the other with a doorway in between. I swear to you this works. I brought crate in my bedroom at night. She whined the first couple of nights but it stopped after a few nights and she could see I was there. I also bought the pen and set that up in the kitchen during the day. Every time she had to go she hopped in her bathroom. There were accidents but I expected that. Poppy is now 5 mos. old and is still using the puppy apartment with success. I plan on training her to outside too but for now this works. We have terrible winters here and hawks. I thought I would pass this potty training option along to apartment dwellers and people who can't easily get outside. I swear I don't work for that company. After reading so many posts on housetraining I thought I would throw the option out there. Cats have litter boxes, why not dogs. Poppy is in the picture, it's like looking for Waldo.

post-8819-0-02077900-1358289317_thumb.jp

Edited by LynnT

I was just looking at the puppy apartment yesterday. Very cool idea! I love the set up. I use potty pads for my dogs. It's not for everyone but it's great to have the option.

• Like 1

A good idea for those who have the space!

Thank you for posting this. I think it will be a great idea for Bosco and our house. Right now he uses potty pads when the weather is bad or I can't take him out. Also, since we work during the day, I really don't like him not being able to use the bathroom until we return. I tried to get him an exercise pen but that little houdini learned how to climb up and over it within a couple of weeks. And since he's chewed up a few things he managed to get a hold of when we let him roam while we are out he needs a crate like environment. I will talk with hubby about this and start putting the pennies away to get this. I'm glad to see it can be used with adult dogs too.

• 2 weeks later...

Sort of looks like the setup I have right now for Joey.

I attached 2 giant crates for play area and one medium size one on one end for his "bathroom" area.

I wasn't comfortable with exercise pens without the cover.

Sort of looks like the setup I have right now for Joey.

I attached 2 giant crates for play area and one medium size one on one end for his "bathroom" area.

I wasn't comfortable with exercise pens without the cover.

I know exactly how you feel. We bought a rather (we thought) tall exercise pen for Bosco and the little bugger managed to jump up, hold on to the top and climb over and that was after I figured how to anchor it so he wasn't pushing it across the room. I bought a tarp to see if I could attach it to the top (haven't done it yet) so I'll see but the apartment looks like it would fit the bill.
  • Like 1

I know exactly how you feel. We bought a rather (we thought) tall exercise pen for Bosco and the little bugger managed to jump up, hold on to the top and climb over and that was after I figured how to anchor it so he wasn't pushing it across the room. I bought a tarp to see if I could attach it to the top (haven't done it yet) so I'll see but the apartment looks like it would fit the bill.

haha Bosco sounds cute! Joey jumps pretty high for his age too.

Are you planning on leaving Bosco in the crate for a long time?

Let me know if the tarp works out.. I can take a pic of our setup if you would like :)

haha Bosco sounds cute! Joey jumps pretty high for his age too.

Are you planning on leaving Bosco in the crate for a long time?

Let me know if the tarp works out.. I can take a pic of our setup if you would like :)

I would love to see your set up and I'll take a pic of the tarp set up when I get it done.
  • 2 weeks later...

I would love to see your set up and I'll take a pic of the tarp set up when I get it done.

Picture quality is not that great cus I took it with my iPad but here you go!

post-4247-0-86165900-1360885209_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Wow that is a nice set up. Thanks for giving me anoher option to consider if the tarp doesn't work. I will be trying to put it on this weekend.

Wow that is a nice set up. Thanks for giving me anoher option to consider if the tarp doesn't work. I will be trying to put it on this weekend.

:) We probably didn't need the extra giant one. If you already have a smaller crate its easy to connect the two with zip ties. I paid 168.00 for the giant double door crate with free shipping and no tax.

• 2 weeks later...
luvmybabies

Thank you so much for posting this link to the puppy apartment, Lynn. I just got off the phone ordering one!

This past fall I was almost getting a handle on training my own six dogs when I ended up with my daughter's 3 pugs. They are still here with no "going home" date anticipated in the near future. When they came they were not housetrained properly and I had to start from scratch. I did the crate training thing which has helped a lot. My own were trained (for the most part) to washable pee pads which of I made about 50 of them and seem to be washing constantly. It has been bitterly cold this winter. We made a place outside which consists of a covered ramp going from our deck down to the lawn where there is a big exercise pen (also covered to keep the snow off). We intended to train our dogs (except my 3 lbs. maltese) to go outside for the winter pottying. Our problem inside was that the Tzus were going lots each pee and sometimes they only went on the edge of the pad so there was still lots of cleaning. The older malt and the Papillon are boys, weren't fixed till a year old, and they started marking like crazy. At least the Tzus , boys, stand on all four and pee! Then the pugs entered the pic and two of them are also boys, mark occasionally and pee more than the Tzus. When it was nice we were able to put all the dogs (except small malt) outside and mine were learning to go outside to potty along with the pugs. Then it got cold. Well the whole show moved inside. I would put them outside and they just howled and ripped all the weather stripping off the door trying to get back in and then they would use the pads (or other places, one big pad was my carpet). By Xmas we were tired of all the carpet cleaning so we ripped it out and installed lino that looks like laminate wood. But they still miss or do it in inappropriate places and I can't keep tabs on nine dogs all at one time.

Then there is my little malt (3 lbs.) Anabelle. She is scared of the pugs and wants to be picked up all the time. When she does pee she knows she should go on the pads and will go there if no one is going to bother her but but she often hides and does her business there. When we go in the car she won't go outside to pee (way too cold, I put clothes on her AND a coat to keep her warm in the car) and after many hours ends up peeing on her blanket. When I go to the dog shows she refuses to go there too. So I got the idea of ordering another nice crate (Richell) that will look nice in the living room and was going to try to make it her bathroom and we could take it with us as it is XS. Well it isn't even here yet and now I see this website and see that I was almost on the right track but not quite. So I am going to train Annie first, get the others all going outside most of the time and hopefully the pugs will go home! If they aren't all trained by fall the Puppy Apt. I ordered is big enough for the other malt and Papillon so I will train them in there and hopefully Annie will be happy to switch to the Richelle cage! The Tzus will have to get better or I need a larger one for them. What plans!! I hope it all comes to pass but I do thank you for the link Lynn.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
CrixusMama

I did research for my puppy before I got him. I found doggielawn.com and it's the greatest thing ever. We ordered it online from a Los Angeles company. It arrived a couple days after we got Crixus, ever since we got it, we didn't need the potty pad. He used the doggie lawn each time. He had a couple of oops because we were too late to open the sliding patio door but it was very easy training him. We will continue to use this till we move into a house.

londontami

this is something i would love to do. however, romeo eats peepee pads now so i guess that's a no for me! lol.

the only problem i see with this system is that i know from my own experience, my dog will not use the same pad multiple times. before he started eating them, i used to use them and this was something i definitely noticed and why i had them in my livingroom and bedroom so if i was gone for any length of time, he could alternate.

• 3 weeks later...

I have been looking at the puppy apartment for a while. I can't stand bathing, blow drying and brushing which takes about 2 hrs total only to have her need to go potty and ruin all of the work. I found a crate the other day with a divider in it. I cut an opening and made my own puppy apartment for $35!!!! I would post pics, but can't figure out how to resize them with my phone. Help would be welcomed.

I have been looking at the puppy apartment for a while. I can't stand bathing, blow drying and brushing which takes about 2 hrs total only to have her need to go potty and ruin all of the work. I found a crate the other day with a divider in it. I cut an opening and made my own puppy apartment for $35!!!! I would post pics, but can't figure out how to resize them with my phone. Help would be welcomed.

Did you try to attach your picture to your post. If you click the "More Reply Options" button, you will see below the text box an area where you can browse your hard drive or camera/phone to get the picture, then upload it to your post. If is too big it will let you know.
  • Like 1

Thank you for posting this. I think it will be a great idea for Bosco and our house. Right now he uses potty pads when the weather is bad or I can't take him out. Also, since we work during the day, I really don't like him not being able to use the bathroom until we return. I tried to get him an exercise pen but that little houdini learned how to climb up and over it within a couple of weeks. And since he's chewed up a few things he managed to get a hold of when we let him roam while we are out he needs a crate like environment. I will talk with hubby about this and start putting the pennies away to get this. I'm glad to see it can be used with adult dogs too.

We don't use the pen since she become fully housetrained (she's almost 8 mos. old now). We do keep her in the kitchen at night with baby gates. We do the same when we are going out for a couple of hours. Doesn't seem to bother her. You'll love it. Makes it much easier on both you and puppy.

this is something i would love to do. however, romeo eats peepee pads now so i guess that's a no for me! lol.

the only problem i see with this system is that i know from my own experience, my dog will not use the same pad multiple times. before he started eating them, i used to use them and this was something i definitely noticed and why i had them in my livingroom and bedroom so if i was gone for any length of time, he could alternate.

My dog will use the pad multiple times. If she doodles on a fresh pee pad I pick it up and put it in the toilet. I usually don't allow the pad to be used more than four or five times. Also it depends on the pads you use. The thin ones will cause puddling. The ones PPA sell are really absorbent. I love them but I can't afford them any more and I'm starting to take her outside now that the weather is breaking a little. I've been buying Simple Solution training pads now. The training pads are absorbent. The regular Simple Solution pee pads are thin and not so great. I order the good ones from Petguys.com. I think it's 100 for $32. Last's me a month or so.

Here is a pic of the crate! Now if I can just train her to use it.post-12158-0-31300700-1365096401_thumb.jpost-12158-0-52437500-1365096432_thumb.j

• Like 1

That looks almost like the original. Is there a side door she can use to just use the pad?

Yes there is a side door.

• 2 weeks later...

I ordered the traing DVD for the puppy apartment. Can't wait to get started.

• Like 1
  • 2 years later...
Guest chi mama

I have 2  newly adopted adult chihuahuas.  I bought 2 puppy apartments for them and the training has been very difficult.  I assume they were both trained to go potty outside because they refuse to use their apartments.  They have stayed in their apartments 8-10 hours overnight after eating dinner and still "hold it"until the moment they are out of their puppy apartment.  Most accidents happen within a minute of coming out of this thing.  Unbelievably frustrating.  And I hate to see the little girls holding it for so long, because they were trained to only go outside I guess...?  I'm following the instructions on the DVD but still no luck yet.  I will keep trying, if it works out it would be amazing.

• Like 1