Littermates

oOShih Tzu LoveOo

Does how long a puppy stay with it's littermates and mother affect the way the dog is as an adult?

Is a puppy that stays with it's littermates and mother easier to socialize?

How does it affect bite inhibition?

We keep our babies here until they are 12 weeks or so. Mom is with them until they are fully weaned, then spends time with them every day: this is where they begin to learn how to behave with other dogs, including bite inhibition. We also let them out to play with the other adult dogs once they have had a puppy shot: MORE education on manners!

Keeping them until 12 weeks also gets them through the fear-imprinting stage. At 6 weeks, they move from the nursery to a pen in the kitchen, where they are exposed to all the noises of a normal household: dishes, pans claning, vacume running, loud nosies, visitors, etc. I also leave a TV tuned to PBS during most of the day (as much as I can stand it, lol) so they will be used to children's voices. At 8 weeks we start having visitors as often as possible, and I have neighborhood kids come in to play with them. We also get them outside a bit pretty much every day so they will be used to OUTSIDE stuff, including cars, trains, kids playing and what-not. They go for rides in the car and visit the place where we buy our food, which is in a large mall, so they get lots of attention from everyone.

We also handle the babies many times daily from birth, and begin grooming when they are only a few weeks old.

As for bite inhibition, the interaction with the other dogs helps AND I don't allow them to chew on us. Teething puppies want to chew on EVERYTHING, and when they start I tell them "NO" and take away whatever part of me they are trying to much on. As they get older, if this continues a light pop on the nose with an index finger and another "NO" take care of the problem.

I've raised puppies this way for decades, and have never had a complaint on temperament: on the contrary, all the members of our extended family (our puppy buyers) wax rather lyrical as to how wonderful their babies are - how well-behaved, and how they've never met a stranger. Even my vet always comments at the last well-puppy checkups how well-socialized they are. Must be doing something right!

oOShih Tzu LoveOo

We keep our babies here until they are 12 weeks or so. Mom is with them until they are fully weaned, then spends time with them every day: this is where they begin to learn how to behave with other dogs, including bite inhibition. We also let them out to play with the other adult dogs once they have had a puppy shot: MORE education on manners!

Keeping them until 12 weeks also gets them through the fear-imprinting stage. At 6 weeks, they move from the nursery to a pen in the kitchen, where they are exposed to all the noises of a normal household: dishes, pans claning, vacume running, loud nosies, visitors, etc. I also leave a TV tuned to PBS during most of the day (as much as I can stand it, lol) so they will be used to children's voices. At 8 weeks we start having visitors as often as possible, and I have neighborhood kids come in to play with them. We also get them outside a bit pretty much every day so they will be used to OUTSIDE stuff, including cars, trains, kids playing and what-not. They go for rides in the car and visit the place where we buy our food, which is in a large mall, so they get lots of attention from everyone.

We also handle the babies many times daily from birth, and begin grooming when they are only a few weeks old.

As for bite inhibition, the interaction with the other dogs helps AND I don't allow them to chew on us. Teething puppies want to chew on EVERYTHING, and when they start I tell them "NO" and take away whatever part of me they are trying to much on. As they get older, if this continues a light pop on the nose with an index finger and another "NO" take care of the problem.

I've raised puppies this way for decades, and have never had a complaint on temperament: on the contrary, all the members of our extended family (our puppy buyers) wax rather lyrical as to how wonderful their babies are - how well-behaved, and how they've never met a stranger. Even my vet always comments at the last well-puppy checkups how well-socialized they are. Must be doing something right!

Wow! That's a lot of info thanks :).

The reason I was asking is because the Breeder I want my boy from won't let them go until he is 12 weeks old.

Then your breeder knows what he/she is doing. None of my friends allow puppies to go home until 12 weeks.

oOShih Tzu LoveOo

Then your breeder knows what he/she is doing. None of my friends allow puppies to go home until 12 weeks.

Great! :) I'm excited to have a puppy from a GOOD Breeder! :)

Except me! My experience and belief is that the puppies do fine from as early as 9 weeks if the new owner is well-experienced in what puppies need, including possible medical issues, the importance of socialization, positive experiences, etc. And I seldom if ever had buyers who were totally clueless. I have always wanted to obtain my puppies at young ages because I love the puppy stages, I always have other dogs and cats around to help with animal socialization, and I live in a town that is very dog friendly and my pups make friends with dozens of folks from the git-go. I know many breeders say 12 weeks, and that's just fine--but not necessarily a hard-and-fast rule.

OK, so Paula's the odball. ;) She knows I love her anyway. And if a puppy is going to a home with experience puppy parents it's probably OK for them to leave a bit earlier...I've just never been brave enough to test it!

Pam and I love each other despite our differences, which are really quite few and far between. Miss you, Sister Pam!

Back at'cha, Sister Paula! N & K send sloppy kisses. :)