Training Questions?

ShihTzusAreCute

I have a few issues with my brand new Shih Tzu cutie and I hope someone here can help me out.

1.Lexie tends to bite when she plays or when I brush her, pretty much when she doesn't get her way altough most often it happens at play time how can I adress the behaviour?

2.I take her out on a leash, my problem is she tries to chase all the cars and tries to follow EVERY STRAGER...she is really friendly but I would prefer it if she didn't try to leave with everyone.

Otherwise she is a very good doggy, she is okay when I leave her home alone, she pretty much only poops and pees on her pad or outside and she very easily learned to sit on command.

The biting issue is very common with young Shih Tzu, especially when they are teething...which your baby is! It is also more common when the pup has been removed from the littermates (and dam) prior to 12 weeks of age. You need to teach Lexi that her teeth are not an option and YOU are not a chew toy. We accomplish this primarily by correcting puppies when they start chomping on us: a light-but-firm pop on the nose with one finger and a firm "No!" at the same time (while removing the body part being chewed) is generally effective. Sometimes it will take several pops in a row before puppy stops, but they catch-on quickly. The same needs to be done when grooming. Some people deal with this by distracting the puppy, but I personally have not found this to be very effective. Consistency is the key.

As for the issues on-lead, this is also common in puppies - they are curious little critters. You might want to carry some small treats in your pocket, and when she decides to take off after something gently distract her and reward her attention to you with a treat.

Laurence Pack

Tiger did the car chasing thing too. I knew I need to nip that in the bud ASAP. I would walk him and whenever I heard a car coming I would stop me and him and say "Wait" and make him sit until it passed.

It took a few times but, he eventually got it and stopped altogether. It actually worked out great since he knew the command "Wait". Our Female we recently lost was much older and slower on walks so, I turned it into "wait for McKinley." He would just automatically sit and wait.

My Bosco is now 1 and he occasionaly tries to nip me and the grandkids. I tried Pam's method and it is actually working when he tries to nip me. When I see him nipping at the kids I tell him to "leave it" and I'm teaching them to tell him no with a light tap. He is also very distracted when on potty walks, so I'm trying to work on that and I use Tina's method with the cars and it is working really good.

ShihTzusAreCute

Oh also, I will take her for a trim next week, any suggestion on how to get her to sit still for that? Maybe give her a snack to chew on?

There is no need to treat when she behaves properly - the idea is for her to learn that biting is a no-no. A "good girl!" and a hug are reward enough.

As for grooming, the only way to have a dog behave for grooming is to keep at it. They MUST learn that they are going to be brushed/combed/clipped/etc. whether they like it or not, and that they will not be hurt by the procedure. We begin brushing/combing puppies, trimming nails, etc. when they are only couple of weeks old: they are groomed daily for a few minutes. They still aren't happy with the first few baths and blow-dries, but with time and persistence they learn (again) that the procedures don't hurt them and they eventually accept them. Between age 4 and 6 months (6 months at the absolute latest), we expect ours to lay quietly on the table for brushing and even to turn on their backs and sides. Puppies who continue to argue are basically "strong-armed" into compliance until they give up, lol.

ShihTzusAreCute

Oh she does GREAT with baths and blow drying.She simply sits quietly until she is done she even sits for brushing after bath sometimes and than when she is all clean,dried,brushed and fluffy she has one of those hillarious bursts of energy when she runs throughout the house like crazy.Lol I LOVE this DOG!

ShihTzusAreCute

Ok, I seem to have a new issue: If she is not allowed in a certain room, Lexie will pee in front of the door.I am pretty sure it is on purpose.Any ideas on how to curb this behaviour? Also, if I keep her in a room because we have guests she will madly scratch at the door to come out.Even if I am in the room with her she will still go crazy trying to go to the guests.Please help me!

The peeing in front of the door is marking behavior - I have one that gets upset when I leave the kitchen and will instantly pee in front of the gate. She is over 2 years old and I have yet to figure out how to stop her, so if YOU figure it out let me know!

Scratching at the door is normal behavior - in time she will learn that it doesn't get her what she wants and she'll stop.