For those who crate train...

It's been a while since I have potty trained a puppy. I have kept Si on a pretty strict schedule. I take him out first thing in the morning & then allow him to eat, drink, & play for about 10 min. I then place him back in the crate & set my timer for an hour. Back outside to potty, treat, praise, inside for some water, play time for 10 min, back in the crate for the hour. This is what we do all day. Of course he is fed 3x a day but certainly not every hour. Only water every hour. I remove food & water at 7. Im a night owl so the last time he is taken out is at midnight. My husband takes him out at 3:30 when he is up for work. Teen daughter takes him out at 6:30 a.m.

Some people think that a puppy needs to be given some room for accidents. Allow them to roam in one room & catch them in the act so that you can correct this & get them outside quickly. They believe they will "get it" quicker this way.

What do you all do? Im not really leaving much room for accidents. Will he still get it with my method?

Sounds to me that you have a pretty good schedule. There are a few posts under this forum that talk to crate training you might want to look at also.

Laurence Pack

I confined Tiger to one room and used the crate when I could not watch him 100%. He had a few accidents (all my fault) but, I took him out constantly. After play, eat, sleep, nose to ground on the floor sniffing suspiciously etc. etc. etc. I may have over done the outside trips--my husband though so.. ;) but, he caught on VERY quickly.

I learned from Tiger that he only liked to pee on my throw rugs or a pillow/cusion on the floor--strange but, he was funny that way

Edited by Laurence Pack

I have all wood or ceramic tile floors with only one throw rug at the back door. This hasnt posed a problem yet because I keep him in the living room during his play time. I do have to keep on the kids about clothes, towels, pillows that land on the floor. I know that is exactly what he will target!

I am wondering when do I lighten up on my tight schedule to see if he "gets it"? Right now I am not giving him the opportunity to really go to the door. I've got to figure out when he is ready for the next step.

How old is Si again?

I should add that I just recently started with this strict crate schedule. I had some major issues with Si not minding going in his crate. So I just put him in the bathroom & puppy pads til he got a little older...

Laurence Pack

He may be confused on where to go. I would pick one place you want him to go (outside or on Pee Pads) and stick with it.

At 17 weeks he should be able to hold it for a couple of hours without any difficulty during the day and should be able to last all night, so I think you should be able to loosen-up your schedule a bit during the day. I do question witholding water for such long periods: our dogs have water available 24/7 from the time they learn to drink from the bottle (usually by 4 weeks). My personal feeling is that witholding water can contribute to renal issues later.

• Like 1

Presley is just over 5 lbs, and she now has the whole 18x24 crate. Today she got the whole xpen because its raining and nasty. But I have an overstuffed super nice bed in it, that takes up some of the room. Presley will NOT sleep on the plain ground without a pillow. She likes to put her head on something and she throws her back leg over it, kind of like, a sexy french girl in a painting, bahahahahaha. She has not had an accident in her crate since the first night we had her. I think she feels safe in it. On occasion she gives me the look, and then I feel awful, like it's torture or something, and I have to remind myself I am doing this FOR her, not TO her. Today she gave me the look.

Edited by JRMMJONES
ShihTzusAreCute

Ha ha, Lexie loves to sleep on one of her pillows too. I bought her a bunch of them and I rotate them.Aww, I see Presley is just a couple of weeks younger than Lexie, they are adorable at this age aren't they?