unexplained aggression towards kitty!

londontami

i think we are dealing with a bit of jealousy here as well, Romeo has become very possessive of me - no other animal can get attention from me, least of all sit on my lap, GASP! he goes crazy.

How can i deal with this behaviour? its alienating my sweet little female cat i have had for 10 years, she spends almost all of her time in a room where Romeo has no access, just so she can escape him. When he gets in the mood, he chases her like he is going to kill her and i dont understand why this is happening.

some background - romeo entered the house as a 8 week old puppy, both cats were here already. They were hesitant to accept him at first but that is long in the past and everything was fine for a while. My female cat never had a problem with being near him and he didnt have a problem with her. The male cat is his buddy and they play a lot together, but even when he gets in my lap or wants a little attention, romeo goes ballistic.

i need to stop this behaviour but he doesnt seem to want to listen. i have allowed him to become the master because he could care less if i say NO. or scold him. spankings make him think i am playing.

any suggestions?

Looks like you will have to start disciplining him by letting him know that the cats are part of the pack and you will protect them. When you see him chasing or getting ready to do something to them, just say "leave it" step between them and him. Make sure you can get him in a calm submissive state to realize that you are the Alpha in the pack.

• Like 1

What Renee said. You're the boss, and he has to realize it.

londontami

i'm worried its too late to show him who is boss. i am not a good trainer of dogs and i am afraid i have let him have his way and he has taken over. every time i try to discipline him he jumps and runs away - he is much quicker than i am, its almost impossible to spank him or try to handle him.

is there any hope?

It's never too late. You'll just have to stop any bad habits you developed in disciplining him and maybe talk to a trainer. 1st don't hit him, he will always run and never learn if he is being hit. But trust me if you start now he will change you just have to be sure of yourself and believe that you can take charge. Be calm but stern when telling him no or stop. If he tries to buck, grab him by the scruff of his neck and say the command again with feeling :) I am still training Bosco trying to rid him of bad habits he got from his previous owner. It is not a quick process but it will work. I'm rooting for ya Alpha mom

Edited by GMA
  • Like 1
londontami

ok, thanks. just please know that when i say 'spank' i am really saying gently patting on the butt.... i never hit my animals, regardless of what they do. i think i may have to consult with a trainer because when i do try to grab him, he jumps or runs. he is a SMART little bugger! he knows how to escape. i have never seen a dog so intelligent, yet so stupid when it comes to potty training!!!!!!!

• Like 1

ok, thanks. just please know that when i say 'spank' i am really saying gently patting on the butt.... i never hit my animals, regardless of what they do. i think i may have to consult with a trainer because when i do try to grab him, he jumps or runs. he is a SMART little bugger! he knows how to escape. i have never seen a dog so intelligent, yet so stupid when it comes to potty training!!!!!!!

Oh, please I didn't think you were beating him into submission LOL. I know how you feel about our smart little monsters. Bosco's trainer and I laugh all the time about how smart he is and how he likes to show off in class but when I get him home you would think he sat in the Dunce corner in class. Any way keep trying. I know you can succeed. Edited by GMA

Shih Tzu are stubborn and tend to see commands as requests, lol. I have seen them perform perfectly in obedience class and then give the owner a "what's in it for me?" look while staying right where they are when asked to "come" at home. Since you don't have experience in training, I would suggest a puppy obedience class to start. It will give you the confidence to train Romeo and he will learn he has to (mostly) listen to you.

• Like 1