Retrain 4 yr old to use Potty Pads?

Marley'sMom

I've been off the forum for a while... Marley is almost one year old and we just brought home a retired mama dog from the same breeder we got Marley from. Her name is Italy. She has always had access to a doggie door to go outside to go potty. But here in the Seattle area, we get a lot of bad weather so we want to train her to use the potty pads indoor as Marley does. During the day when we are at work, they are in a gated area with a potty pad.

We were hoping Marley would help show her the way, but when we are gone at work, she just holds it all day. If it is raining she doesn't want to go outside and holds it until she finds an opportune time to find a place in the house to go. And sometimes our kids forget to take her outside to go potty before letting her loose in the house and an accident happens. So, we're training the kids too :( One night she jumped down from our bed while we were sleeping and peed on the carpet. Our bed is kind of tall. Marley has never even tried to jump down.

I've tried taking her outside to go potty and when she starts to pee, I scoot the pad under her to get some of her pee on the pad, and then put the pad in the gated area during the day while we're at work. I was hoping the pad with her pee on it wold be a clue for her but she still seems to hold it all day.

Any suggestions?

Sounds like you're doing the right things so far. Maybe you could try the spray that they have in the pet stores that has a scent to make them want to go where you sprayed. I used that to help train Bosco.

Marlen

Renee is right the spray should work but you might want to try different brands. I'm telling ou this because I bought one and Misha didn't want to pee on it, he was already trained to eliminate on a newspaper. My other suggestion would be to crate train her as if she was a puppy. But, I don't know if that would work. So, encourage her to use the pad and even if she just sniffs at it, praise her and maybe give her a small treat. Eventually, she'll get the idea and use it. (I hope so :D )

Marley'sMom

Thanks! We'll try those suggestions and see what happens. I probably just need to be persistent and patient. :(

• Like 1
JRMMJONES

Presley is completely trained for outside. Buuuut, I wish she would use a pad. That way I could leave her in the xpen during the day. But all she does is rip it to shreds. I hope you are able to retrain her. If she isnt shredding it, i would think it would be doable. In time.

Louie really like his pads.

You should be really mad when you catch her doing something not on the pad.

Try to find the spot she really like to do there, and locate the pad there.

If you catch her doing on the pad be really really happy and give her a treat.

4-6 days and she will know to use the pads.

oOShih Tzu LoveOo

Louie really like his pads.

You should be really mad when you catch her doing something not on the pad.

Try to find the spot she really like to do there, and locate the pad there.

If you catch her doing on the pad be really really happy and give her a treat.

4-6 days and she will know to use the pads.

I wouldn't say you should be really mad. I think a firm "no" will do :).

"Really mad" I meant to act like your are really mad.

And you need to act good so the dog will understand that you are mad.

But just acting of course... not to hit the dog...

oOShih Tzu LoveOo

"Really mad" I meant to act like your are really mad.

And you need to act good so the dog will understand that you are mad.

But just acting of course... not to hit the dog...

I wouldn't act like that towards a puppy, sorry. Again, a firm "NO" will do just fine :).

I have the same problem Pepper is potty pad trained but Chloe is outside trained, I was hoping she would pick it up from watching and smelling pepper, no luck so far I am open to Ideas on that one.

• Like 1