Marley was doing awesome -- NO accidents at first and we are very diligent with taking her out often (maybe too often). I have noticed a few things lately...one is that she will sneak behind the couch to poop and the other is she has been peeing in her crate at night :(

She sleeps from 10/11 until 6 or 7am and doesn't wake up -- or alert me she is up.

So I am wondering what I should do -- remove ALL bedding from crate?
Should I be setting an alarm and waking up in the middle of the night to take her out?

We don't use pee pads or anything -- it's grass or nothing here.

Looking for tips to discourage this quickly!

Marlen

I can't be of much help since I don't crate any of my dogs and hey are trained to pee-poop on a newspaper. However, I can give you some suggestions. First of all, put vinegar where she's pooped behind the couch. Jolie also forgets to go to her place sometimes, but she hasn't had a miss for 2 weeks. Also, no, don't wake up during the night.

As for the crate it's quite small for you to put a small bed and have extra room, so she pees where she sleeps. I always cover Jolie's puppy park floor with newspaper, that way even if she pees, I reinforce her good behavior of learning to pee on a newspaper. For me, such small breeds are indeed a bit difficult to potty train so that's why I first choose to pee-pad (in my case newspaper) train them and then gradually change it to pee-poop walks. That way, even if they feel the need to eliminate in the house (for some reason they can't hold their bladder or poop) they know where they're allowed to eliminate in the house. I believe that summers are a nightmare. Has she been drinking a lot more? She has to because the temperature is high. So, she's basically a 3 month old puppy that doesn't have a big bladder and drinks a lot. Just so you know, Jolie gets out of her puppy park 4-5 times a day and she gets to pee 8 times or more. I'm actually surprised Marley can hold it, Jolie can go for 8 hours but I don't want to put her through that. I can't actually advise you to not let her drink water before going to sleep, but take her for a walk before crating her. That way she won't have to hold it for long. Also, for the poop, she's still small-young and needs supervision. She's in no sense fully potty-trained, it might take a couple of months or a year.

Sorry -- guess that info is helpful!

Marley is 12 weeks old and the crate is 24 x 18 x 20

That is odd that she peed in her crate. That's against all doggie code. I see you have a 24" crate and that may be a little big for her. If they have room to pee then sleep away from it, then they'll consider that corner their bathroom. You may need a smaller crate, one that's just big enough for her to lay down to sleep and turn around, to get her not to pee in there again.

"I can't be of much help since I don't crate any of my dogs and hey are trained to pee-poop on a newspaper. However, I can give you some suggestions. First of all, put vinegar where she's pooped behind the couch. Jolie also forgets to go to her place sometimes, but she hasn't had a miss for 2 weeks. Also, no, don't wake up during the night.

As for the crate it's quite small for you to put a small bed and have extra room, so she pees where she sleeps. I always cover Jolie's puppy park floor with newspaper, that way even if she pees, I reinforce her good behavior of learning to pee on a newspaper. For me, such small breeds are indeed a bit difficult to potty train so that's why I first choose to pee-pad (in my case newspaper) train them and then gradually change it to pee-poop walks. That way, even if they feel the need to eliminate in the house (for some reason they can't hold their bladder or poop) they know where they're allowed to eliminate in the house. I believe that summers are a nightmare. Has she been drinking a lot more? She has to because the temperature is high. So, she's basically a 3 month old puppy that doesn't have a big bladder and drinks a lot. Just so you know, Jolie gets out of her puppy park 4-5 times a day and she gets to pee 8 times or more. I'm actually surprised Marley can hold it, Jolie can go for 8 hours but I don't want to put her through that. I can't actually advise you to not let her drink water before going to sleep, but take her for a walk before crating her. That way she won't have to hold it for long. Also, for the poop, she's still small-young and needs supervision. She's in no sense fully potty-trained, it might take a couple of months or a year."

THIS!! I was shocked when we brought her home. For the first week maybe 2 she had no accidents whatsoever and I would have never believed it if I didn't see it. I put some of the hospital bed pads down on her crate floor and the bed on top and it is only recently that she has started to pee on it. I like it because it is white and I can see if she goes as her bed is brown so I am lost if she goes at night. I only recently put a bed in there -- she use to have a cream coloured bed insert thing and newspaper but nothing happened on those things.

Edited by Marley
Marlen

Ah, wait...You meant 24 inches? Then, it's big like Renee mentioned. (silly me thought 24 cm). Ah, also forgot to say, some trainers suggest leaving the dog's pee in there so that they'll get used to the idea that if they soil where they sleep, it'll smell and they don't like it. I used it with Jolie and it helped. Let me clarify, her puppy pen is huge and she peed in one corner, I didn't leave her there to suffer just half an hour tops. It did help and now she holds it ;)

Maggie&toby12

Try purchasing a cage divider. It can adjust to however big you want it so you can cut her pen in half or a third so it is the right side. This will make it cheaper than buying a new crate especially since when she grows she will need the 24 like you have now. One probably came with the cage when you purchased it. Set it up so she can stand lay and turn. This will encourage her not to pee but won't make you spend another fifty when she out grows the other.

• Like 1
HelloTina

Also remember she is on 12 weeks old. She can't hold it too long. Takes a long time for them to be fully trained. Have a water/ food cut off time. Let her out one more time before you go to bed. Anytime you are letting her out to use it she should use it. No play time when on potty breaks because she will be confused. Don't carry her outside either. It has to be a trip to go to the bathroom. You carry her she will expect you to carry her for potty time.

We use epoxy-coated wire floor grids in ALL our crates, with a nice comfy bed on top of the grid. Puppies quickly learn that if they can't possibly hold it another instant they can push the bedding aside, eliminate, and then push the bedding back over and deal with the smell until it is cleaned up. Eventually, they are able to "hold it" longer and there is no more messing in the crate, but before that those floors are a Godsend! Before I discovered them, I used to rush home at lunchtime to let a puppy out only to find out he/she couldn't hang on from 8 am to noon and had peed (and sometimes pooped) in the crate and of course dirtied themselves. That required a lunchtime bath for the puppy and NO lunch for me. I get cranky if I don't eat regularly, so that was NOT a good thing!

One thing I HAVE discovered is that puppies who are either pad-trained or outside-trained have difficulty adjusting to crate training later and will soil not only the crate but their bed indiscriminately. We crate train puppies from the moment they are weaned and have for the most part not had complaints from new owners (we also start "outside" training at around 8 weeks). One owner swears her perfect puppy has been perfectly house-trained from the moment they brought him home, but his dog-sitter and I are friends so I know better, lol!

So I am a little confused with all the advice ...lol...it happens to me a lot!

She doesn't wake at night to let me know she has to pee so do I just leave the hospital pad in there until she is older and if it happens it happens?
Pretty sure we have a divider but again if she isn't waking me then she will really have no choice but to soil her bed -- unless she will then wake me?!

We go out every night before bed and first thing when she stirs in the morning. I do carry her out in the mornings because I want to get her out FAST but during the day she walks in and out. She also gets a treat once inside after going. She has been crated since the first night we brought her home at 8wks.
She is crated when we leave and every night.

Should I pop her bed back in then with the pad? or without? and section it off or allow her that pad (for now) since she can't hold it at this young age?

HelloTina

The way everyone trains is different. I personally don't use puppy pads at all. If I'm teaching a dog to use it outside I don't want to confuse the puppy. I let my puppies out lots of times they don't come in until I know they have used it. Take them out frist thing in the morning feed them take them out again. Nap time puppy wakes up take him out right away. Before bed take take puppy out again (bed time for me it's 12 lol) I think your create might be to big. Dogs normally will not use it in there bed unless its a puppy bought from a puppy store where they sit in there all day they have no choice but to use it in there bed.

HelloTina

If she isn't waking you up maybe you should ? I remember mine would wake me up at 5 am -__-

Marlen

Tina, please please please answer! Did they stop waking you up at 5 am? Jolie is currently waking us up at 5.30 like clock and I feel sorry for my dad who wakes up to let her out. Misha won't wake us, if he can't hold it he just uses the newspaper.

Marlen

Ugh, me and my double posting. Sorry!

Edited by Marlen
HelloTina

Yes they stop waking you up ! Lol I love puppies but goodness is like having a baby no sleep!

Marlen

Whew that's a relief! Thank you :D

The way everyone trains is different. I personally don't use puppy pads at all. If I'm teaching a dog to use it outside I don't want to confuse the puppy. I let my puppies out lots of times they don't come in until I know they have used it. Take them out frist thing in the morning feed them take them out again. Nap time puppy wakes up take him out right away. Before bed take take puppy out again (bed time for me it's 12 lol) I think your create might be to big. Dogs normally will not use it in there bed unless its a puppy bought from a puppy store where they sit in there all day they have no choice but to use it in there bed.

I don't care for puppy pads -- I want to do all grass but the hospital pad I put down was more of just padding for her to lay on rather then use as a bathroom. I do the same. I take her out first thing and she usually goes pee instantly -- then we walk in circles for a few minutes then she poops...back in for food while I get my daughter ready for school then back out while we wait for the bus. I am on her like glue and if I see her drinking I take her out shortly after, she loves to nap on the couch and she goes out the second she is up from a nap -- even if it is a 10 min nap! I always take her out before I go to bed and make sure she for sure pee's -- maybe not poop but for sure pee!

She isn't from a pet store. She didn't use her bed for the first 2 - 3 weeks we have had her -- only just in that last week or so,

If she isn't waking you up maybe you should ? I remember mine would wake me up at 5 am -__-

I have no issues waking to take her out -- just not sure if it is needed since she was going from 10/11 - 6/7 since we brought her home without issue.

She doesn't drink much at night since she usually naps on the couch around 8/9 and then wakes for me to take her out before bed. Maybe the drink she has before bed? I hate to restrict water.

HelloTina

Your doing everything right just be patient. I don't know about the hospital pads? Maybe it's best

To use covers? You maybe want to restrict water for the first couple of months. Just have a cut off time like 8 pm and no water till the morning. Ping would drink a whole bucket of water if I let him he's gotten better now that he is older or maybe he learned how to drink lol.

HelloTina

What I meant about covers is doggie blankets instead of puppy pads. I'm sure she will resist peeing on them since they will be so comfy?

Thanks I will section it off and see how it goes -- Honestly if she can't hold it and pee's it isn't the end of the world -- as long as she grows out of it and I am not encouraging bad habits :)