Housetraining an Adult rescue?

JRMMJONES

Ok, so a woman here locally basically just wants to get rid of her Shiht. She says she can't afford the grooming anymore since shes single, with 3 kids, and a mortgage. She claims the dog is housetrained. That's a pretty big thing to me. But she seems shady. I feel sorry for the dog. IF... IIIIIIIIIF... I were to bring this dog home and he pissed and pooped everywhere, will it be a nightmare to train him? He is like 2.5 or something. I don't want there to be a pissing match in my living room and come home to the Nile river flowing forth from a couch cushion, if you know what I mean.

Any advise?

Vicki

Keep him crated while you're not around to watch him until you're sure you can trust him?

Vicki

• Like 1

Will you have a chance to meet the dog prior to making a decision?

JRMMJONES

Yes I will. If he is still available I told her I wanted to observe him.

In that case, I would at least take a look. Worst case, you will find the person is indeed shady: best case, the dog just needs a new home and the person is doing the right thing.

IF you are able to, stay for at least an hour and if possible take the dog for a walk. The longer visit will let the "newness" of your presence wear off (the dog will behave more as he normally does "at home"), and taking him on a walk may show other behavioral issues that you wouldn't see indoors.

IF you see something that makes you uneasy, ask questions but be ready to walk away. I am a BIG believer in "going with the gut", and if yours tells you something is wrong...it probably is.

JRMMJONES

We did not get the dog. He was hyper and presley drooled unbelievably bad. She was super stressed and i cant put her through that. one day we will find one. But presley did not like this one.

I'm sorry this one didn't work out, Robin - but I think you did the right thing. Keep searching and you will find the right friend for Presley!

JRMMJONES

My friend however, did take the dog. Poor thing had to be shaved down. His previous owner had let him get matted. Turns out he IS good and housebroke. She is struggling with intros.. i have given her tips. Neutral intro site, a little at a time. They are currently establishing their pack order. I told her to be more stubborn than the dogs.

JRMMJONES

He responds well to orders. But i think they never played with him. He is super hyper. I worked with him this morning when she brought him over for me to see him. 15 min of fetch and he was ready to cuddle. He juat needs work. Ahe is a stay at home mom and all her kids are school age or jr high. She will be able to do it.

Sounds like he landed in his perfect fur-ever home!