My granddogs, Princeton & Logan are siblings. They have different personalities. THey have been with me since the end of January when my son moved back home. They were never really socialized before. My problem is that they seem to be jealous of each other a lot of the time. I make sure I pay equal attention to them but still all of a sudden, they will give each other a "look" and growl and start fighting. It's more growling than biting, but still, it scares the heck out of me. I try to remove Prince because he seems to always be on top of Logan during the fights. Then after they get separated, they are usually fine. Also, if someone is holding one of them and the other is on the couch or floor, one will start the growling at the other. I really don't understand this behavior, especially when it comes out of left field. Any insight here?

Marlen

Some of our members advise to let dogs be, don't separate them up (plus, you say they don't cause each other injury).Always keep an eye on them but don't interfere unless there's danger of serious injury. I also say that they have a natural way of figuring things out. Litter mates are especially difficult to train. Training them is important and limitations are a must. So, work with them, teach them the basic commands and have rules in the house. For example, don't let them roam freely, I'd recommend crate training them as well, and let them settle things on their own. They're both boys, litter mates and teens(in dog terms). It's a difficult combination :D Once they've settled who's boss, things will calm down. Right now, if you intervene, things might escalate since you don't know who's top dog.

Also, the 'look' you mention. If you catch them doing that, it means they have already started 'fighting', don't let it escalate. If you see they start this "obsessive" stare simply make them focus on you by calling their names and give them a treat once they're calm and completely focused on you (simultaneously) or give them a 'time out' by removing them from your presence and each other's presence. This will also help things calm down. But the natural thing is to let them figure it out on their own. However, if they stay untrained, aggressiveness will be an issue and you want to avoid that. If you haven't still started training them, do it asap. :)

mom2emmy

Interesting stuff. I need to do some SERIOUS reading now that we are for sure getting the puppy and soon too. Bailey can get sooky over anything. if you're sitting and not talking to him but talking to another person, he might sook to get up. He does it especially if I am with my daughter. he is mr. jealous bones. he's not mean or anything about it. but he does get jealous. This puppy will have the same mom so I guess half littermates? :P

Oh the trouble we go through for such cuteness!

Marlen

lol Manda, I think half-brothers don't count as litter-mates (or do they? ). They'll have a certain age difference after all. Yes, your beautiful boy Bailey might get jealous :D Are you crating him a lot or not so much? Crating them and monitoring their play can help with their attitude.

Laurence Pack

My two get jealous of each other too but, once THEY decide who is top dog (among the dogs) I heard it is best to reinforce their decision. Pet the alpha first, feed first etc. It really has kept the peace in my house more so than before. I really wanted Tiger to assume that role but, he is second to Willow. Both seem ok with it now too.

They both must know you are the "boss" I agree with letting them sort it out but, in my house if I decide I do not like the behavior, I put an end to it. Even if they are just horsing around--it is NOT OK to fly around the house barking and spring boarding off people on to the furniture then floor!! It is soooo funny and hard not to laugh but, if I have guest over is soooo not acceptable for the dogs to do. Horsing around is contained to the floor (for the most part)

I do make sure to have one on one time with each dog every day though.

• Like 1
mom2emmy

Bailey was just a year old July 5th. So I hoping that the year in the difference will be enough and not too much. Bailey is in his kennel when we go out or at bedtime. So from 8pm-8am. We are ready to crate him more now when the puppy comes to preserve his facial furnishings and have separate play times as needed.

• Like 1

We have occasional spats around here and I don't interfere unless it goes on long enough that the noise starts to aggravate me. Then, a shake of the magic can and a loud "CUT IT OUT!!" and all is well again.

Manda, your problem will come eventually from having two intact males IF there is a bitch in season in the neighborhood. My boys get along beautifully until one of the girls comes in, and then they spend half their time fussing at one another and the rest of the time peeing on each other. Yes, really.

• Like 1

Well its hard to listen to them fighting - it's very loud and I don't want anyone to get hurt. However, I think that their fight last Sat. is how Princeton got his eye scratched - then infected - I posted this here too.

Since they came to my home in January - at which time they were not really trained well - and over 4 yrs. old, I've had a heck of a time with them. Between the fighting, the marking, they immediately jumped all over the furniture, I just know it's not their "fault" since they didn't have proper training. But I'm finding it difficult to re-train them. Thanks for the info.

mom2emmy

We have occasional spats around here and I don't interfere unless it goes on long enough that the noise starts to aggravate me. Then, a shake of the magic can and a loud "CUT IT OUT!!" and all is well again.

Manda, your problem will come eventually from having two intact males IF there is a bitch in season in the neighborhood. My boys get along beautifully until one of the girls comes in, and then they spend half their time fussing at one another and the rest of the time peeing on each other. Yes, really.

Thankfully, they dont go out much or no further than the lawn so not much contact with other females, fixed or no. My sister, is fixing her dog as she is just a pet dog. I expect some "trouble" and we have crates for both. I'll be back to complain I am sure :P

Marlen

Oh, I hadn't noticed how old they were, I just saw it. Susan, if they're close to 5 years old, you're in for a loooong time of re-training. Habits that have gone for too long are more difficult to get rid off and dogs that haven't lived with rules are a bit slower to adjust. It would help if you knew how they were living before they came to your house. The fact that they 'dominated' your house that quickly is also not good. I'm afraid that if you don't have experience training dogs, you might want to seek the help of a professional trainer. Jumping up the furniture, marking etc might not be their fault but the minute you put them in your house you should have limited their choices, crate them or leave them access to certain areas, not the whole house. Don't let them on your furniture, monitor them closely and always reinforce the good behavior, ignore or give them a 'time out' when they act bad. From all this, I can tell you have quite a few problems so don't hesitate to ask.

• Like 1
mom2emmy

Bailey can't jump on any furniture. He hasn't figured out how to. he only flukes into it when he is chasing the cat and accidentally ends up on the love seat. :P

• Like 1
Marlen

There are some differences between the 'jumping on furniture' of each dog. When my cocker spaniel jumped up he was not invited to do so and if I wanted to remove him, he'd growl and turn around to bite me. He actually bit me once and he's the reason why I decided to take dog training classes when I got my other dogs. Since he had become aggressive I found a dog trainer, he was great and I learned a lot of things from him as well. Misha learned to jump up on his own. However, he waits for permission to jump up and the only time he doesn't ask for the permission is every night when he snuggles with me on my bed. he jumps up, pushes my armpit with his muzzle and settles down, using my arm as his pillow, lol. The difference is, he's not territorial, even if I want to remove him from the furniture, I can pick him up and do it or tell him to "get off" the coach. Even if he's sleeping, I can pick him up and take him wherever I want. He's also not food aggressive which has pleasantly surprised me. People might not notice or observe the little things that show if the dog respects them or not. Jumping on furniture, marking the house, how dogs act during feeding time, how they "tolerate" or react to what you do to them, what happens during walks. All of these things are important. So, Susan, if you want to see whether your dogs have a problem you need to address, think of what happens during each situation and see how you can change your dogs' behavior or ask whatever you want help with.

• 2 weeks later...
HelloTina

I agree try stopping it before it escalate. I think you should be alpha! Becomes an issue with them trying to figure it out. Idk where I read this but it has stuck with me aince Dot was a puppy 8 years ago. If my dogs do something very bad which is kinda rare. I will put them on their back and hold them there till the telax and until you are fine with them getting back up. Wolfs do it and dogs will know you are serious. It's also better for you to be alpha so your dogs can just be calm dogs and not have to worry about who's in charge.

Bailey can't jump on any furniture. He hasn't figured out how to. he only flukes into it when he is chasing the cat and accidentally ends up on the love seat. :P

This sounds like my house. I have a couple that can jump up 3 feet from a standstill and a couple others that have never figured out how to jump at all. Corbin falls off the bed a lot, and he's always real surprised when it happens. :rolleyes:

mom2emmy

Bailey can jump the height of my daughter from the floor. but not to the couch. Not that I mind that he can't

Laurence Pack

Tiger can jump!! Sometimes I think he has little springs in his back legs. When I got to feed them he will jump up like a little pogo stick :) and...he always has to be on the highest point in the living room.

Recently he jumped on the couch as normal, but after I got out of the shower...he was on the kitchen counter top laying on my towels. I guess it looked like a good nap spot.... He must have jumped on from the back of our loveseat. I swear he must have hidden wings sometimes.