Trouble with training

Pudgy_Bailey

My Bailey is a little 'slow', if you know what I mean. She only knows sit. We've tried training her simple tricks like down, but to no avail. Tried, meaning daily sessions, as long as she would take it, for weeks, and she still only got sit in her trick list. And it's only in the elevator when we're on our way to grandma's or home.

Ok, at least she knows 'Baybay, come. BAYBAY COME PLEASE,' :D

But has anyone had trouble training their dogs? My BoyBoy is easy to train, like a few repetitions and he's got it down pat. No clicker required.

I'm starting to give up on teaching Bailey tricks now. I know she is far from dumb, she has the whole family trained so well. And she is potty trained completely. But she just refuses to learn tricks.

Are there dogs that simply don't and can't learn tricks? Any tips or tricks that I missed out on? I tried clicker training and everything, her training treats are hotdogs and bacon ( made for dogs or the low sodium kinds). Or is it simply because she's not as attached to me as my other dogs are?

So actually the "tricks" you are trying to train Bailey in are comands. Sit, down and come are basic commands all dogs need to learn and yes our furbabies can be a little stubborn in learning these commands. Don't give up though. These commands will help you live a little better with your furbaby. Are you using the clicker and treat method in your training? Or the praise method? Also you should read the NILF (Nothing is Life is Free) and practice the concept. Trust me I'm going through some training issues with Bosco and this is after he go CGC, but I'm going to get him back and beyond where he was.

After a few years of attempting to train Poms (who aren't as smart as Shih Tzu but are JUST as stubborn), I gave up and settled just for "stand", "stay", "back" (which means, "Don't even THINK of trying to go through that door!") and "down". Every dog in the house will drop on command, although only a few of them will also "sit". A lot of Shih Tzu seem to have a "What's in it for ME?" attitude towards training, especially the dreaded "come". I say "come". The dog whose presence has been requested looks at me and you can see him/her thinking, "Well, what does she want? Does she have food? And if I DO it, do I get food and attention and love or is she planning on brushing/bathing/trimming toenails?". Mine mostly decide it's not worth it.

• Like 1

Well, training I believe is also based on the dog's personality. I've got a tough time with Misha but Jolie is a pleasure to work with. She intuitively knows what I want her to do and I also attribute that to her being with us from a young age whereas Misha was a bit older. I agree with the NILF, I always practice that even when feeding my dogs their meals.

Have you found what motivates her best? Most dogs will work for food but some are almost indifferent to it. Some want toys or some want to be petted and praised. Also, there's a difference between treats, that's why I've experimented with a lot of them and found that tiny bits of beef jerky works like a miracle for my two whereas pieces from their kibble are okay but not the best to get them motivated. Try rewarding her with what she likes the most.

A lot of Shih Tzu seem to have a "What's in it for ME?" attitude towards training, especially the dreaded "come". I say "come". The dog whose presence has been requested looks at me and you can see him/her thinking, "Well, what does she want? Does she have food? And if I DO it, do I get food and attention and love or is she planning on brushing/bathing/trimming toenails?". Mine mostly decide it's not worth it.

LOL - 100% true regarding that dreaded "come" command!

"Or is it simply because she's not as attached to me as my other dogs are?"

That's an interesting thought- Zeedo loves my son most of all and will train very fast with him. He simply does what he says, even the "come" with no hesitation. I say "come" and I can see him start "thinking" and i usually have to trick him into coming.

I have always wondered if Tzu's have one master- sure they love everyone... but do they attach closely to one person? I am seeing that with Zeedo and my son. They are inseparable. If my son offers Zeedo food, he just takes it- anyone else he actually sniffs before he eats it! So complete trust and love between the two of them. It's amazing.

Oh, you're totally right. My mother always got frustrated with Misha, he never listened to her but he always comes when I call him and listens to me. :)

Pudgy_Bailey

Maybe I shall try getting closer to her first. My BoyBoy never listens to anyone but me and my sister, so maybe attachment does play a role.

NILF sounds like what I do, except grandma isn't too good of a listener :(

We'll just have to keep working on it then...

Playing with your dog, taking her out for walks, grooming her and training her are all great ways of bonding with her. Jolie had gotten attached to my mother since the day we got her. However as time passed and I was the one taking care of her needs, I found out she had shifted her trust to me. Instead of lying under my mom's chair, she'd come in my room and she would lie down either under my bed or under my desk, depending on what I was doing.

Playing with your dog, taking her out for walks, grooming her and training her are all great ways of bonding with her.

I do all that for Zeedo but he is still more attached to my son. The difference is my son plays with him like another puppy (no grooming)... lol. They play, bark and roll together. Also, when Zeedo first came home my son spent the first few days sleeping next to and comforting him - that sealed the bond. I stayed away so that could happen. My first Tzu was so attached to me and no one else. Although others in the family took him for walks and fed him, his primary bond with me stayed till the end.

But you are right, bonds can be made stronger.

Edited by chrdso

None of the dogs listen to anyone but me. I'll grant that the boys are "Mommy's boys" and the girls are "Daddy's girls", but even the girls don't listen to him. They just run up to him, leap at him and KNOW they are going to get picked-up and loved-on no matter what they were doing 2 minutes ago (like eating a bit more of a cane-bottom chair or leaving a pee lake on the floor).

luvmybabies

Pam, I must say I am sitting here laughing my head off after reading this thread and your comments!! I swear you really must be so in tune with your dogs that you know "exactly' what they are thinking. After many years with all my dogs I agree so wholeheartedly with you!

I know you know, Joyce! I have come the unenviable point of being like the parent to a very large family. I see someone doing something they shouldn't but can't put my finger on the culprit's name right away, so I just start rolling through them. "Drake! Gus! Corbin! (OK, finally got the right dog) Cut it out!!!" The two that got yelled-at for napping look confused.

• Like 1
luvmybabies

Hey I do that too. I even start hollering at a dog and take two tries to get the name right so I can make sure the right dog is getting chastised!!