My stubborn, nosy little man

So lately, Bosco refuses, can't or won't potty outside any more without a walk. I mean he will hold it until I go upstairs to bed and then go straight to the potty pad we have in the room for his middle of the night needs. He releases all of his pee right at that moment and it is a lot then he'll circle around and poop. Mind you he always releaved himself either out front of the house or out back every day when I get home from work and before we went to bed. Its like he gets outside and stands there looking around or getting destracted by some sound or movement. Then he'll bolt back on the porch like something scared him and wait at the door to go back inside. The only thing I can think of doing is to go back to taking him on walks to potty. SMH Any advice. BTW he is 1 1/2 years old.

Hm, is there any chance he got scared of something while on a walk (because you mentioned him running towards the porch to get back inside)? I have this problem with Misha, he'll hold it for a long time. I mainly suspect that happens because he doesn't feel the need to mark his territory outside (our unneutered cocker spaniel would mark even if nothing was coming out lol) plus, he knows there's a nice and quiet space for him to eliminate inside. I don't remember if Bosco's neutered but he surely thinks it's best to eliminate inside. You thought of the best solution. Start taking him out more often and praise him whenever he pees outside. Also try removing the pad for short periods of time. That way he won't have access to it when he gets back and he'll have to eliminate outside. :)

Thanks for your suggestion. I may give it a try (I have to think about the carpet though). Bosco is neutered, but it's been a while and he was doing well outside until just a few weeks ago. We are going to try the walks again, though I really want to use the walks as exercise and not potty time.

Sooo...we all worry about the carpets huh? Since your lovely boy Bosco feels comfortable in the crate, treat him like you would a puppy. If your worry about the carpet while experimenting with taking away the pad, crate him. :D

Sooo...we all worry about the carpets huh? Since your lovely boy Bosco feels comfortable in the crate, treat him like you would a puppy. If your worry about the carpet while experimenting with taking away the pad, crate him. :D

I know he won't like it but you are probably right about crating him at night for a while.