He is not getting it. Help please

sharonelaine

I have never had this much trouble trying to house break a puppy and I've done my fair share of puppies. I've had Jasper 6 weeks now and he still is not even crate trained. He pees in it all the time and then just lays in it. He doesn't care. I've never had one that didn't care if they were laying in their own pee. Starting to think I have a defective puppy. He even pees and poops on us if he is sitting with us. No warning he just goes. What am I doing wrong? I take him out all the time. an I don't leave him in the crate when I'm just sitting around I get him and put him in my lap or let him play with my rotti. (which is actually pretty funny)

Ehm, defecating and peeing on you is not that normal. Does he show any signs of distress (trying to get off of you to go potty) or anything else? Because there might be a problem with him holding his pee/poo...

sharonelaine

sometimes he tries to get down and whines when he is sitting with us other times he just goes no warning or anything. My husband wont even hold him anymore. And he pees in his crate all the time and just lays in it. When we first got him he didn't poop in the crate but now he has started doing that some too

Are you in touch with Jasper's breeder? This is not normal behavior for a puppy at that age.

sharonelaine

I can get ahold of her but she really gets defensive if I say anything. Not even sure what I would ask her.

You could ask her what her potty training routine was. Maybe you can mimic it. Also, how big is his crate? If It is too big, he will use part of it as his bathroom. Do you use potty pads? That might help some.