Potty training regression?

ShihTzusAreCute

Hey! I have a big problem: I have no idea what has gotten into Lexie in the last week or two :( She is usually taken out three times a day: monrning, afternoon, night. In the afternoon she only goes outside for a few minutes, just enough to pee and then it's back inside.We haven't had any accidents in many many months.Well suddenly she refuses to pee outside in the afternoon mostly and will pee inside, on the carpet...Nothing has changed around her, I have no idea what is prompting this behaviour and it is really becoming a problem. What should I do? Has anyone else experienced this problem with their Tzu, at any point?

Marlen

Mine have gotten used to eliminating inside and sometimes, Misha refuses to do so outside. My advice, keep her outside till she finishes or else don't take her back inside the house. It might take a while. Also, try crating her after taking her inside (if she has not eliminated). Did you notice any changes in her behavior while taking her out? Does she look scared or eager to go back to the house? Also, try those odor removers, she probably still smells her urine on your carpet.

ShihTzusAreCute

1.It is FREEZING outside.For her sake not mine, I cannot keep her outside for hours.

2.She does not appear to be eager to get back inside but she's not resistant either.No change in behaviour otherwise

3.I do not crate train.She's never had a crate.

4. The carpets are definitely scrubbed down.

Hopefully things will get better.For now I thought I would go back to praising her whenever she goes outside, like I used to do when she was a puppy.
Side note: I CANNOT believe she will be ONE in just two days!!

Marlen

Oh! I didn't know it was so cold there, we're ok here. Maybe it's due to the cold, especially during evenings she might not like going outside. How about seeing if she'll use a pee pad?

Sounds like you've had a change in the weather which will also help in the potty behavior change. Also, when you clean her accidents, be sure to use a cleaner specifically made to break down the enzymes in dog urine. Believe it or not, regular floor or carpet cleaner will not get rid of the scent left behind (dog marking). I do have something like a indoor toilet for Bosco to use in the middle of the night or when I or DH are not able to take him outside. Oh and especially when it's raining. Bosco won't go in the rain unless we force him out on a walk.

ShihTzusAreCute

Thank you both :) Things seem to be better, I put a pad for her, she hasn't used it yet but we've had no more accidents either. It might be the suddenly cold wether indeed.