Won't stay still for eye/ear cleaning

Hi,

Our five month old baby, Oreo, is genreally a good boy. But one thing we are having trouble is with eye/ear cleaning because he keeps moving around and won't sit still. Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks.

First of all, welcome to Chatter. :D

As for the grooming routine, it has to start from an early point of your puppy's life. I consider eye/ear cleaning as a part of the every day grooming, so same rules apply. Be patient and get Oreo used to being handled/touched there. Put him on a soft surface (a towel or a cushion), and start massaging his ears, examining them etc. Eventually he'll get used to the touch and let you clean them as well. If he misbehaves, tell him "No" and put him back in position. The key to success is doing this frequently, dogs eventually understand what's part of a routine, they relax and let you do whatever's necessary :)

• Like 1
Vicky & Pebbles

Marlene is giving you great advise! He will never like it but he will learn to endure it.

Be calm and gentle, the worst thing that you can do is make it an unpleasant experience.

I've been working with mine to get her to lay still while brushing, nail clipping and paw pad hair trimming. She's great at bath time, ok with the hair dryer and wonderful with ear, eye and teeth cleaning.

Just be patient and reward/praise a lot!!