I just don't know what to do anymore

sharonelaine

Jasper was doing very well in the crate and was not going in it at all anymore but the last 2 nights he has peed in there and then whined for me to take him out. He has stopped going to the bathroom on us but for the life of me I can not get him housebroke. He is no closer now then when I brought him home at almost 6 weeks old. He is 5 months old now. I have tried to get in touch with the breeder to ask how she got his parents housebroke but she wont answer any of my messages.

Hmmm. When you let him out of his crate, do you take him out side as soon as you let him out of the crate? Also, does he go before you put him in the crate?

He may have a urinary tract infection - you should have your vet check.

sharonelaine

Not sure what was up with him peeing in the crate again but he did fine last night. He does go out before he is put in his crate and we take him him out as soon as we get him out of the crate. So am at a loss as to why I can't get him house broke. He is my first Shih Tzu.

Edited by sharonelaine

Actually he is doing pretty good and before you know it he'll be totally housebroken. He's still kinda young. The one thing about my Bosco and his training is he doesn't let me know when he needs to go out. So I'm trying to work on that.

sharonelaine

Thanks. I have seen on some sites that Shih Tzu take special training is this true or do I just train him like I did all my other dogs? I've had pugs and I have a rotti and a Lab now. We rescued our lab so she was already house broken when we got her.

They can be a little more stubborn, but they are trainable. There are a few show dogs on the site and they must be trained to be in competition. There is no special training just keep doing what you did for your other dogs and you'll see results eventually :)

Your baby is young yet, so give him a bit more time. I have had Shih Tzu that trained like champs in a couple of weeks and one that will probably never be 100% reliable (my ADHD child). Our dogs are crated when we aren't home, and when we ARE home they have free access to a large fenced run except when it is very hot or very cold: then, I send them outside once an hour. This works for us. They are on heavy epoxy-coated wire grid in their crates with pee pads underneath and I probably don't have to change a pad more than once a week...usually because they are just getting dusty. They also have snuggly beds, water bottles and toys in their crates and when I say, "bedtime!" everyone but Gus waits to be taken to his/her crate. Gus is the only dog that sleeps on the bed with us (he's completely trustworthy and the perfect bed-buddy) and on the odd occasion when one of us is sick or injured he gets VERY put-out by having to go in HIS crate, lol.

sharonelaine

Thanks everyone for all the information. Jasper is pretty spoiled lol. He can and has slept in bed with my kids with no problems. My husband wont let him sleep with us or he would be lol. I'm pretty sure he is crate trained not sure what happened those 2 days. He is such a hyper little guy. I've never had a dog this hyper. It cracks me up when my mom comes over. He always acts like he hasn't seen you forever when you come in the door.